Aloris vs Dorian QCTP?

Thanks Jeff, my issue is I'm picky as hell about my tools. I'll buy a used machine but tools and underwear are two things I buy new.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Jeff just gave me an idea...I don't like fishing my parts out from the chip tray half beat up after parting off...tail stock mounted parts catcher :think1:

Have you ever ordered from http://www.usshoptools.com/

Never purchased from them before. I saw them at Westec a few tears ago & picked up a catalog. Can't remember why but there was a reason why I choose not buy from them & eventually threw their catalog out.

I'm picky as hell about my tools. I'll buy a used machine but tools and underwear are two things I buy new.

I can relate, although my machines are China I learned my lesson & try to stay far away from China tools as possible, I do have exceptions though. I have no problem buying used but for me they have to be in great condition. If they have personal engravings on them I almost always turn away.

Jeff just gave me an idea...I don't like fishing my parts out from the chip tray half beat up after parting off...tail stock mounted parts catcher :think1:

I never let parts just fall when parting off. I always catch them. I haven't got around to making some type of parts catcher but for anything I part off that has a through hole, that's easy....

IMG_6549.jpg

Yeah that's a neat trick for catching parts, so long as it doesn't get kicked up in the chuck and batted into my forehead. That parting pic reminds me, I forgot to add parting tool inserts to my order today ack! US Shop Tools so far is okay, this is my 2nd order from them. I can find the inserts for the same price elsewhere but I pay no sales tax through them. Many of the other suppliers like Grainger, MSC, even Enco on some things are way over priced. Drillspot is another one. $20 to $30 for an insert that other places are selling for $13.

Carmex threading tool holders and inserts are inbound! ETA probably Friday. I went with a SIR0500M16B internal threading bar, a SER0625H16 external tool holder, and one insert each internal and external in a couple different grades, one for aluminum/brass another for steel.

I fixed the 3 jaw chuck and tried out these sharp CCGT polished inserts on a piece of oak this evening, really good results. This was at 270 rpms, .004 feed. I tried 360 and it was about the same, 800 was noticeably rougher perhaps slowing down the feed would have been better. These inserts are awesome on end grain and I had used that corner on some aluminum before this test so its settled the metal lathe can turn wood.

lc31.jpg

lc31.jpg

Thanks Jeff, my issue is I'm picky as hell about my tools. I'll buy a used machine but tools and underwear are two things I buy new.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Jeff just gave me an idea...I don't like fishing my parts out from the chip tray half beat up after parting off...tail stock mounted parts catcher :think1:

My criteria for tooling is good condition so it works as new. I purchased a 1" shank Valentine carbide insert grooving tool off ebay for $15 shipped. In my opinion, a $160 tool for $10 plus shipping leaves more funds for more tooling. My 1" shank CNMG insert tool was under $20

Very good used spreads the funds

That's fair Jeff, I guess I'm not opposed to buying good quality used tool holders so long as they are not beat up rusted and overpriced...which pretty much describes everything on my local craigslist. I have not purchased much on ebay in recent years, I got tired of dealing with flaky sellers who take 3 weeks to ship items out then freak out when you ask them where your item is or ignore you altogether.

US Shop Tools so far is okay, this is my 2nd order from them. I can find the inserts for the same price elsewhere but I pay no sales tax through them. Many of the other suppliers like Grainger, MSC, even Enco on some things are way over priced. Drillspot is another one. $20 to $30 for an insert that other places are selling for $13.

I guess I'm too cheap & spoiled these days. I very rarely would pay full retail on inserts, on only a few of my tool holders I have to but those are not used on a regular basis so that's ok. I get all my inserts from ebay. Despite all the horror stories I hear, I would say I've had 99% good transactions on ebay in the past 10+ years. Not only is it up to the seller but IMO the buyer should lso know what they are buying.

For the inserts I use the most, I never pay more than $5 per insert. Like the Ingersol CCGT 31.51 inserts I have, I got 50 inserts for $153, that's $3.06 per insert so I'm set for a while. I got 50 Ingersol SCGT 31.52 inserts for $130, $2.60 per insert. 40 Valenite CCGT 21.51 inserts for $50, $1.25 per insert. Not too long ago I got 30 Sandvik DCGT 31.51 inserts for $60, $2 per insert. And just last week I got 20 Sandvik DCGT 31.50 inserts for $36.66, $1.83 per insert. All new in unopened packaging & pretty much all of these inserts go for more than $10 per insert. It seems the price of carbides have gone up on ebay but the deals can still be found.

I can go on with my CNMG, CNGG, & parting inserts as well as the tools like solid carbide boring bars but you get the idea. As a hobbyist, these huge savings are awesome.

I have been cruising ebay for a few days now DZ no luck on anything yet, slim pickings for Dorian BXA told holders. I did get my threading order in from US Shop Tools...one insert was supposed to be a Carmex K20 uncoated insert for aluminum/brass but they shipped me a coated insert. My replacement 4 jaw chuck came in, it has a big ass gouge in one of the jaw screws that hangs up. I fixed my 3 jaw chuck one of the cam bolts had a mushed thread and the factory just cranked it in there with a wrench. So dealing with some quality issues this week. :angryfire: On the bright side this week has been GRRRRRAAHHHHH crash free!

Back