Altering an off the shelf pump unit.

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been searching for a pump unit for my Boyar Schultz surface grinder. It didn't have the pump unit when I bought it even though it has hydraulic capabilities. Finding the proper used one is tricky since they usually don't have specs. I am looking at new ones, but nothing off the shelf is an exact fit. Custom build is way too expensive, more than I paid for the grinder.
I need about 1 GPM at under 500 psi. I have found 1/2 HP units at the right flow rate, but the pressure relief is usually too high. Can I replace the relief valve with either an adjustable one or a lower pressure one to make it work? How alterable is an off the shelf unit?
I was looking at something like this:

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Something that might need to see is if you need a pump that will be able to run as long as your surface grinder , what I mean is will the pump unit need to run say two hours while your grinding ?

Yeah, I have been looking at duty cycle as well. I need to keep that in mind. Thanks for reminding me.

First the system relief valve is adjustable and usually will start at o psig and go as high as the relief valve spring will allow and the motor can produce enough horsepower to achieve.20210430_144326.jpg20210430_144333.jpg
This is a picture from HGR last friday. There are a couple units that pretty close to what you need.....

So far everything I have seen that is suitable is has been between 300.00 and 500.00.
I believe with some patience that something suitable and affordable will become available. 20210430_152957.jpg

The thing that makes for a " longer duty cycle" is the removal of heat from the hydraulic system.
This is why the reservoir gets larger and can have a heat exchanger mounted on it.

So far everything I have seen that is suitable has been a little pricey

So that unit I linked to only has a 10% duty cycle. 1 min on and 9 min off. So back to looking. Good thing this isn't a priority item.

$300 was my top end for spending on this. But I will keep looking. May have to adjust my expectations.

Back