Alternative use for a Forstner bit

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
Today wifey was digging a trench for a pipe with a pick axe.
She bumped into a root of the persimmon tree, more or less 50 mm thick, which was too deep to be cut with a hack saw and too flexible for a chisel.
While she was cleaning the spark plug of the chainsaw to cut it, I mounted a 30 mm Forstner bit on the Bosch hand drill (it was too deep for the drill press too :rofl:) and made a hole into it: underground woodworking… but I get rid of that annoying root in a way faster than the chainsaw.
If you try this be careful: live wood is sticky!

Good job Marco and wife! But you might want to remember that when you saw a root in the dirt with a chain saw, the saw teeth get dull very quickly in and around the dirt. I have had good luck with a sawzall (the blades are cheap enough when the dirt eats them up). And also a hammer type drill with a spade bit. And I get the best results when I use my Milwaukee 60lb jack hammer with a clay scoop blade attached to it, it works great!

Good job Marco and wife! But you might want to remember that when you saw a root in the dirt with a chain saw, the saw teeth get dull very quickly in and around the dirt. I have had good luck with a sawzall (the blades are cheap enough when the dirt eats them up). And also a hammer type drill with a spade bit. And I get the best results when I use my Milwaukee 60lb jack hammer with a clay scoop blade attached to it, it works great!

Thanks for the suggestions!
A sawzall is into my "to buy" list, while the jack hammer is far beyond my goals (but I can borrow one if I need it).

Another vote for the sawzall...... it is the first tool I reach for after digging down to the roots.

Today wifey was digging a trench for a pipe with a pick axe.
She bumped into a root of the persimmon tree, more or less 50 mm thick, which was too deep to be cut with a hack saw and too flexible for a chisel.
While she was cleaning the spark plug of the chainsaw to cut it

You let your wife use your chainsaw....!:thinking: I'd love to see my wife try a chainsaw, that would be hilarious, and potential fatal for anyone to close.:))

The Sawzall's are great, I also find this very useful for stuff like you where doing.
Dremel Multi-max - Popular Items - eBay

Just yesterday my wife texts me "I ran your weedeater out of string" I wonder what other tools she has been using when Im at work?:thinking:

I like the alternative use for a wife. Suppose She would dig a ditch for Me also? Please!:))

Ever tried cutting aluminum with a Forstner bit? I had to do a minor bore and I tried a 3/4". It actually cut pretty well it producing very thin "potato chip" like shavings. I wasn't going very deep and it wasn't a through cut and I'm not sure if it dulled the bit, but wood will bore quite easily with most anything so it was worth a try.

I never believed that I'd use a hole saw to cut 1/2" plate of steel, before I tired it.

Ever tried cutting aluminum with a Forstner bit? I had to do a minor bore and I tried a 3/4". It actually cut pretty well it producing very thin "potato chip" like shavings. I wasn't going very deep and it wasn't a through cut and I'm not sure if it dulled the bit, but wood will bore quite easily with most anything so it was worth a try.

I never believed that I'd use a hole saw to cut 1/2" plate of steel, before I tired it.

I never tried the Forstner, but a couple of times I used one of these for aluminum:

2160FS.jpg

I used it also on Ytong blocks (autoclaved aerated concrete), and after a couple of meters of hole (through many blocks!) the saw became totally toothless :whiteflag:

2160FS.jpg

Back