Aluminum Chip Welding..?

I thought of using a diamond hone since the particles are so small. I did try increasing the feed rate, but that didn't help.

well, the diamond hone worked like a charm. A few light strokes got all of the aluminum off the tip edge.
Should I keep using Relton A-9 for Alu.? or try something else? All I have at the moment is Magic Tap for Aluminum and BoeLube. I don't think WD-40 is a great choice for boring.

I was getting small C shaped chips with 325 RPM's. Hopefully, increasing speed to around 400 will work out better.

Dunno', I use WD-40 for most aluminum well for me. I use A-9 when I need the best finish.

When boring, you ideally want coiled chips, not C-shaped ones. I wonder if you reduced your depth of cut and increased feed ...?

These are 3/8" thick 6061 Alu. Albrecht disassembly clamps for my 3-16mm chuck. Through bores. I've made'em before without any problems.
Maybe the aluminum is bad? I'll try a different piece.

WD-40 when cutting aluminum. Lubricates just enough to prevent the Al from welding itself to carbide (or HSS)

WD-40 when cutting aluminum. Lubricates just enough to prevent the Al from welding itself to carbide (or HSS)

It didn't work in this instance. I used plenty of WD-40. Must be something else that caused the BUE. I got it off with a diamond hone, but would like to know what is causing it. Cobalt boring bar also. Too much heat, but from what? Speed, feed? or is the aluminum a bad grade? Cheap 6061?
It cut like it was cast aluminum. I'm going to try a different piece.

I use Trim Sol without issue. Could you have too much or little positive rake set in your bar? I just bored a 2” hole in 6061 without any issue using my criterion with 3/4 bar and carbide insert.

I've had the same problem parting 6061 I think part of it is parting at to high speed cause I was to lazy to cane the belts and also the aluminum getting to hot would probably be much better with coolant is was also told aluminum tends to stick more to coated carbide than uncoated so next time I order I'm gonna get some uncoated and see if that makes a difference I also got a coolant mister to try but I gotta change some things around before I do that

Back