• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Aluminum cutting- wet or dry?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Do you all use cutting fluid when you cut thick chunks of aluminum on your 4x6? I imagine the blade life is longer wet? Messier to clean up though
Mark

mikey

Active User
I use a wax stick lubricant to cut everything except plastic - cuts fast, cool, very little mess.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have used cutting oil, which really needs blade wipers to keep the chips out of the guide bearings and the wheels. I also have used some left over cross country ski wax, those _wood_ x/c skis with cable bindings have not seen use in decades, nor the bamboo poles and the leather boots. The ski wax is soft and works well, and I have at least half a dozen tubes of different ones with varying hardness for different snow conditions, will probably last me a life time on my saw. Klister waxes might turn out to be a mess, about like very thick honey at room temperature

Eddyde

Staff member
+1 On the wax stick, I use it on the band, table and chop saws.

Tozguy

Active User
This is what I use, should last forever, easy to clean up too.

Attachments

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
I bought a 4 inch carbide saw blade at Menard's and it works great as a slitting saw or for 3/4 inch or less material on aluminum.
I have been sawing with it dry. Blade thickness is about .050 I think. Price about $9. I have been
using 100 rpm or so and it seems to do fine with a slow feed rate. I havn't tried it on mild steel yet and probably won't.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Toz: On that Walter product is that Alucut or Coolcut?
Mark
ps I hear some people like to use bar soap

EmilioG

Active User
Amen on the Wax stick. I use it on the band saw, hole saws, and pretty much anything with saw teeth., including hack saws.
I like DoAll, Castrol and Walter Tech. wax sticks.

Silverbullet

Wax sticks work great , I've also used my mister if I don't want to sit over the saw.

projectnut

Unlike most responding here I cut aluminum dry. I use a Startrite H175 vertical/horizontal band saw. The saw has coolant capability, but I never use it. Most often I use a 10-14 tpi variable pitch bimetal blade .035 thick at 80 fpm. The down pressure is set at 6 psi. The saw also has a circular wire brush just beyond the exit side blade guide. The blade stays clean and will easily cut through a 3" x6" block without more than a couple thousandths variance from top to bottom.

Depending on the use and materials I usually get 2 or more years from each blade.

RandyM

Staff member
Unlike most responding here I cut aluminum dry. I use a Startrite H175 vertical/horizontal band saw. The saw has coolant capability, but I never use it. Most often I use a 10-14 tpi variable pitch bimetal blade .035 thick at 80 fpm. The down pressure is set at 6 psi. The saw also has a circular wire brush just beyond the exit side blade guide. The blade stays clean and will easily cut through a 3" x6" block without more than a couple thousandths variance from top to bottom.

Depending on the use and materials I usually get 2 or more years from each blade.

+1
I do exactly the same. :encourage:

[6]
[5] [7]