Aluminum vs brass bench vise jaws

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
Is there a reason brass would be better than aluminum for a light use bench vise? 90% of the stuff I grip in this vise is stuff I don't want to scuff.

I figured I'd use 6061 aluminum because it's soft and cheap and I can face the jaws anytime I want. I didn't even remove the stock extruded finish.

I would think the brass would be tougher for less disposable, more permanent jaws. Harder and more prone to damaging soft parts.

20230721_184725.jpg

Last edited:
no difference. BTW, you can even use wood for jaws.. or leather lined (wood, Al) anything glue the leather onto the material using contact cement. coat both pieces and let them dry, then put them together. The leather will help it grip great, and the whole thing will be non-marring.

Copper is also a good material for jaws. more so than brass. The brass is a little more slippery..
But don't discount the wood, if you are looking for non-marring. cheap and easy to replace.

With only one vise (4'') in my shop and used much less than 90% on soft materials, these soft jaws have served me well for many years.

On occasion a couple of pieces of aluminum angle iron will be used instead for a firmer 'soft' grip on something.
Just sayin

With only one vise (4'') in my shop and used much less than 90% on soft materials, these soft jaws have served me well for many years.

On occasion a couple of pieces of aluminum angle iron will be used instead for a firmer 'soft' grip on something.
Just sayin
I used those at my buddies shop for years. They do tend to shift around at the worst times and they are just a bit too soft but they do work.

I needed a vise for holding delicate stuff at work and had a cheap old woodworking vise. I put a set of UHMW jaws on it and it has become my favorite vise. I would have thought they would be slippery but they hold fine and don’t mar anything. YMMV.

I needed a vise for holding delicate stuff at work and had a cheap old woodworking vise. I put a set of UHMW jaws on it and it has become my favorite vise. I would have thought they would be slippery but they hold fine and don’t mar anything. YMMV.
I would have thought UHMW jaws would be slippery. It's what we use to make sliding parts on a ts fence, router, etc.

Yup, me too. i don’t know if it’s the fact the jaws are made out of an old butcher table with tons of scars on it or what. But I used it to hold another big piece of UHMW that i used as an anvil to form an aluminum tray on and it didn’t budge much to my surprise. Go figgur.

Yup, me too. i don’t know if it’s the fact the jaws are made out of an old butcher table with tons of scars on it or what. But I used it to hold another big piece of UHMW that i used as an anvil to form an aluminum tray on and it didn’t budge much to my surprise. Go figgur.
yea, those knife cuts are probably helping a ton. I don't think smooth uhmw would be the same.

I think you should consider what I call drop-in jaws
I have many jaws for a multitude of work
The stock serrated vise steel jaws never change.
I have heavy copper that drop in and sort of lock for some delicate work
Also aluminum , two types, one a precision fit and smooth , or the other is just some aluminum angle (2 x 2 x 1/4") that can be beat on
Steel jaw drop in's, two types, one smooth and flat when I do not want the stock serrated jaws and the other a spring loaded unit with pre-drilled holes for holding round rod stock ( 1/16, 1/8 ,3/16, 1/4 ect) vertically

You can never have too many vise jaws
Rich

Last edited:
Back