Amazing Ebay Purchase

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
I purchased these 2, 6in ingersol face mills for $23 including shipping. they had some surface rust that for the most part wiped off with oil. the inserts are available but the ones in them are new 4 sided. they have a max depth of cut of .005
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25090645195...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=250906451954&_rdc=1
I touched up the back with a stone and no material was removed so i chucked 1 up and tested it
the aluminum was faced at 1180 rpm 25imp and a depth of .0005 for the last pass . it came out really well almost mirror finish
I gave the other one to my friend who owns a automotive machine shop
steve

DSCF0628.JPG DSCF0630.JPG DSCF0631.JPG

Nice looking cutter. You sure on the DoC? 0.005 sounds pretty light. I don't believe I've seen one spec'd as such a shallow cut. You know the insert number?

.005 sounds about right. We used a finisher just like that. Any deeper of a cut it would hum and leave a scalloped finish. Pretty high feed rate, lower rpm. Hardly ever had to change the inserts.

the insert is a YCE434-001
just for fun i measured the chip, i hope you can see the mic it was hard to focus but it is .0005
steve

DSCF0633.JPG DSCF0634.JPG

i dont know what speed i got those chips at but the last pass didnt curl it was just dust
it was moving slower and less rpm at first but my finish got better at higher speeds
here is a better pic with a larger chip
steve

DSCF0635.JPG

I agree with the DoC on a wiper style insert. I wonder if you could get a roughing insert for it. That wouldn't be a lot of good for general purpose milling unless you could. 0.005 per pass is pretty slow.

thats the only insert shown by ingersol there are 2 grades available on ebay and i'm not sure the difference yet
in60c
in40p
do you know what the difference is?
here is the pdf from ingersol

steve

Attachments

• Ing_CAT-001-1_FaceMills.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
for a total cost of $11.50 i can deal with a little slow lol
steve

thank you tony
i got 10 of the 40s for $40