Ammco 7" shaper question.

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone I may have finally found myself a 7" shaper. Fingers crossed the deal may finally go through but still have my doubts. I found a AMMCO that a gentleman had stored for 20 years, but he doesnt have the motor for it. He is trying to find one, he wants to make sure theres nothing wrong with it before selling. With out knowing anything about shapers, as I have never used one yet aren't the motors just a regular 120V 1/4hp 1750RPM motor or one around that size? Or are the motor a specific RPM for shaper use? Thanks for the help.

I think that I would look for a somewhat larger motor than 1/4 hp, perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 hp. Speed should be about 1750 RPM.

my Ammco has a motor from the 50's it has a 1/4hp 1725rpm 112/220vac
you could go larger, but these lil shapers have fiber bull gears
lotsa horses shear fiber teeth

Mine came straight from the Badger Army Ammunition Depot in Baraboo Wisconsin. It comes complete with the OD paint, property tag, and War Board tag. The motor is a Baldor 1/4 hp 1425 rpm 110/220 single phase. The 1/4 hp is plenty for this machine. As Ulma Doctor said a bigger motor will do nothing but tear up the bull gear.

Ok, thanks for the replies. You confirmed what I was thinking. Now the hard part, trying to get the seller let it go.

Back