An Aussie With Questions About Pm Lathes And Machinery

This guy is in AU and has some contacts with Sunmore, maybe he can help you

Bill pretty much has it as usual,
And it all depends on the specific model, there is no blanket statement that covers everything. Or anything really.

There is a lot more to it than the paint color. Most of the time, if a factory makes a machine for a large company, (One who has them build a large enough amount of machines to keep them busy, Like us, and a few of the other larger names out there like the green one, etc) they have an exclusive deal and will not build them for anyone else in the same country. BUT, another factory might make the same identical LOOKING machine. So you see a lot of the same kinds of machines, many people assume are the same. Sometimes they are, that happens for sure. But many times anymore, they are not the same factory.

For example, our PM-1236. No one else in the USA carries this model from this same factory. Basically, a Chinese 1236 lathe is the same. Of course. But there are a lot of small differences in them that can add up. Not much that is going to make it a night and day difference, but there are some differences.

Another example, our PM-932M. Everyone assumes its from the same factory as another machine that comes with the same accessories, looks identical other than a different color. (And there are many variations of this model all over the place) But in fact, it is a completely different factory who builds them.

There can be differences in the iron castings. HT200 cast iron is cheaper than HT250. Will never know the difference on the outside or looking at a picture. Just one example of the many things that can change from one to another.

Way too much to get in to, and it is different for each different model. One main difference, is that I will pay for quality, where 95% of places just go for price. I tell the people at the factory, if they can make it a little better for a little more money, that is OK. and they tell me the same thing. "Hey this is the price, but we can cheapen it up to save a bit, or make it better for a little more"

We do not ship machines to Austrailia though, too expensive, and too much hassle. If you are looking for a machine there though, I can get you in contact with some people I know there.

And that Sumore is not a factory, just a trading company. That is what almost every "factory" web site that you see out there is, just a trading company. The problem with them is that you do not know what you are getting, it will probably be an OK Machine, but if you ever need a part, you don't even know what you have, and chances are that trading company is gone by then. Or if they are still around, they won't really know what they sold you.

Most of the factories over there dont even have web sites. Those trading companies will lie and tell you that they make it, but it is very, very rare that you can import a machine directly from the place who actually makes it. Really, it is extremely rare that anyone can even find the factory, including myself, so we have people over there who are experts with that, and I let them handle it. Sieg and a couple others are the rare ones, they actually make machines and have a web site. But it is very, very rare other than a few.

Bill pretty much has it as usual,
And it all depends on the specific model, there is no blanket statement that covers everything. Or anything really.

There is a lot more to it than the paint color. Most of the time, if a factory makes a machine for a large company, (One who has them build a large enough amount of machines to keep them busy, Like us, and a few of the other larger names out there like the green one, etc) they have an exclusive deal and will not build them for anyone else in the same country. BUT, another factory might make the same identical LOOKING machine. So you see a lot of the same kinds of machines, many people assume are the same. Sometimes they are, that happens for sure. But many times anymore, they are not the same factory.

For example, our PM-1236. No one else in the USA carries this model from this same factory. Basically, a Chinese 1236 lathe is the same. Of course. But there are a lot of small differences in them that can add up. Not much that is going to make it a night and day difference, but there are some differences.

Another example, our PM-932M. Everyone assumes its from the same factory as another machine that comes with the same accessories, looks identical other than a different color. (And there are many variations of this model all over the place) But in fact, it is a completely different factory who builds them.

There can be differences in the iron castings. HT200 cast iron is cheaper than HT250. Will never know the difference on the outside or looking at a picture. Just one example of the many things that can change from one to another.

Way too much to get in to, and it is different for each different model. One main difference, is that I will pay for quality, where 95% of places just go for price. I tell the people at the factory, if they can make it a little better for a little more money, that is OK. and they tell me the same thing. "Hey this is the price, but we can cheapen it up to save a bit, or make it better for a little more"

We do not ship machines to Austrailia though, too expensive, and too much hassle. If you are looking for a machine there though, I can get you in contact with some people I know there.

And that Sumore is not a factory, just a trading company. That is what almost every "factory" web site that you see out there is, just a trading company. The problem with them is that you do not know what you are getting, it will probably be an OK Machine, but if you ever need a part, you don't even know what you have, and chances are that trading company is gone by then. Or if they are still around, they won't really know what they sold you.

Most of the factories over there dont even have web sites. Those trading companies will lie and tell you that they make it, but it is very, very rare that you can import a machine directly from the place who actually makes it. Really, it is extremely rare that anyone can even find the factory, including myself, so we have people over there who are experts with that, and I let them handle it. Sieg and a couple others are the rare ones, they actually make machines and have a web site. But it is very, very rare other than a few.
Please point me in the direction of dealers in Australia that sell products of equivalent quality to Precisionmatthews. I am confused by all the smoke and mirrors online about lathe quality. I would definitely buy from you if I could.

Please point me in the direction of dealers in Australia that sell products of equivalent quality to Precisionmatthews. I am confused by all the smoke and mirrors online about lathe quality. I would definitely buy from you if I could.
Do your research. Look for dealers with lathes made in Taiwan (if that is what you want) and the same specs as PM. It is not all smoke and mirrors if you utilize your knowledge to make informed decisions.

Hmmmm, by chance, will PM consider taking your order and drop-ship it to you directly from the Taiwan factory? ....does that even make sense?
I have been wanting a Knee-mill like forever and been looking at old Bridgeports for years. Saw my buddy's PM-949TS and knew I wanted a PM. Also looked at Grizzly (and they are actually calling me on the phone every week now, trying to hard-sell), but I put my money on the PM-935TS3PH (I'm in the Caribbean), and can't wait!
I really like and appreciate the way Matt and his people handle a customer, that goes a long way with me.

Back