An old fart needs help setting up shop in a remote location on a boat.

I wanna see him level the lathe. :p good luck on your shop.

Leveling the lathe is not important as long as it is straight and square. I spent the majority of my working life as an engineer of cargo ships, all are fitted with a workshop usually at least a decent lathe often a mill and other machines these machines are never level, but great care is given to fixing them to a stiff rigid base and making sure they are square.

I am going to take out the small toilet in the center of the boat. This gives me a 30 x 15 bench and a 10 x 25 bench with some locker space. This is my 15th year as a full time liveaboard so I am used to protecting stuff from rust. It is warm year round where I cruise and very high humidity days are rare. Liberal use of the oily rag and CRC spray should keep things moving. Dealing with chips esp the steel and cast iron will be difficult but I have a shop vac so we will see how it goes. I will have some carpet in the workshop which will be regarded as disposable every few months.

You have thrown a potential spanner in the works though as I was intending to run it off my Vector Maxx SST 1200 watt inverter which turns out to have a modified sine wave output. So I need to find out if it will do or will the magic smoke escape from the lathe speed controller the first time I use it.

My Honda generator has a pure sine wave so that should be fine JUST NOISY.

I'm assuming the mini lathe has a variable speed motor, the controller may not be happy running of the modified wave. Rather than have to run the generator you could replace that inverter with a pure sine wave one, they are not that expensive given the amount you are spending. I'm also assuming you have plenty of battery capacity.

Alternatively you might try running a motor alternator in the circuit that might just tidy the wave up sufficiently that your lathe speed controller won't mind.

Also rather than CRC I'd consider using INOX MX3 a far superior product than all the commercial CRC, WD40 etc etc.Also makes an excellent cutting fluid.

Back