And another GL1000, my 5th so.... Johnny 5!

A friend cut the center stand mount out of my junker '79 frame and welded it into Johnny 5 to fix the rotted-out section. I got it home, wiped the repair area with isopropyl and hit it with etching primer. The '79 has extra gussets in the area, so even better.
fba0fbb5f58a8cad616071b87e05238c.jpg

91b7c6153f33e1743e8e872d4532f554.jpg

Last edited:
These fence row bikes are a challenge! Yesterday, I finished cleaning and assembling rear caliper, both front calipers, and the rear master. Also cleaned the contacts on the fuel gauge pickup, drained the tank, sprayed it with fogging oil, and stored it in the shed. Pieces slowly getting ready. Striping and painting still to do, but I'm constrained by weather since most of that has to go outdoors. Might dig out the harness and start on it soon. At least I was able to reuse the rear caliper pistons by mounting them on the lathe and spinning with brake cleaner soaked Scotchbrite held against them. Lots of crud, but no pitting! Used a brass brush in my moto tool to clean up the caliper bores and piston ring grooves. Just wadded up aluminum foil and brake cleaner for the master bores (guitar string for the relief holes).

Couple days ago the weather hit those two magic winter days that outdoor painting can be done, so I ground, sanded, flap-wheeled, and wire brushed the frame. Then, alcohol and acetone wipe-down, etching primer and Rustoleum black appliance epoxy (really an enamel). Hanging from the garage ceiling curring, now.

A PO had mounted a '79 tail light on my '78 project, but without the '79 turn signals - just the stalks. And, there's rust in places. So, I cut the "tangs" off and spun inserts on the lathe tapped 10x1.25 - same as a pair of signals that I had left over from previous work. Then used abrasive plastic wheel to remove rust, loose chrome, and rough-up remaining chrome. I taped off the chrome that remains good (most of the visible chrome is Ok) and put it in the growing pile awaiting more weather for painting.

After days spent cleaning and preping the engine for painting, I rolled it onto its top and painted thd underside,then two days later rolled it back upright and onto its dolly. Tha's no small feat for an old man and a very heavy engine. Anyway, painted the top and I'm not really happy with it. I've used POR-15 engine enamel in MG Maroon, and it looked great. This one is in aluminum, and it shows brush strokes, didn't level well and yet there are several run/sags. Its not a show bike, so will not be dobe over and I'm sure the paint will hold up well. I must have stirred it for close to a half hour, and it still looks streaked. Today I polished the belt covers, and the bling kind of draws your eye away from the case, so the valve covers will get polished tomorrow.

Last week the wife helped me maneuver the frame onto the motorm and parts have been going together since. Held up by weather for painting, but hit a three-ho wndow yesterday, so tank, shelter frame, battery box, front engine hanger are all curing now. Beginning to look like a motorcycle again.
28e89b3a78dfbaef44f93d6b9c73f52a.jpg

Got home from the reunion (a great time with old shipmates) around noon. After a nap and some muscle relaxer for a sore neck, I went down to the garage, swapped the neutral switches, cleaned the horns to get them working, and cleaned the front brake light switch to get it working. Tomorrow I'll go to Honda and pick up a few crush washers, fill the oil back up, and hook up fuel lines.

SHAZBOT!!!! Put on new fuel lines, started adding water (water before antifreeze - just to check) to the radiator and water started pouring out of #4 exhaust port. Hopefully just a head gasket (but the compression looked good!) I have a couple spare head gaskets on hand, I think. Just hope there isn't a pile of rust in the cylinder from setting with antifreeze (hopefully) in it, but won't be surprised with whatever I find on this pig. It does turn over easily with the starter, so that is a positive. Not like I haven't seen similar things before. On the good side, the 1/4" fuel line that I picked up from NAPA fit nice and snug, and I haven't seen any oil drips this time. Water is drained, and I may just leave it there until tomorrow afternoon or Monday. Good thing I didn't mount the exhaust yet.

Engine together, brakes filled and bled (had to replace the seal between halves of the rear caliper), K&Q seat reshaped and standard cover fitted (should have added one more layer of carpet padding to the sides in the nmidfle, but it will do as-is), all together except covers. Hope to roll her out back today, add fuel, fire her up!

Engine together, brakes filled and bled (had to replace the seal between halves of the rear caliper), K&Q seat reshaped and standard cover fitted (should have added one more layer of carpet padding to the sides in the nmidfle, but it will do as-is), all together except covers. Hope to roll her out back today, add fuel, fire her up!

Obviously none of this is true................no photos !
;)

Ted

Back