And another small vise

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Aftera bout with pneumonia earlier this summer, I decided it was time to get back inthe saddle and finish a project I had started on a small machinist's vise. I started out a plan I saw by Dean Williams but after playing with it for a whileI tinkered with the dimensions a bit. I also decided to slot the base and jaws.I cut the half round washer for the draw screw out of stainless with my home made ball turner.
IMG_0442.JPGIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0436.JPGIMG_0440.JPG

I screwed up one set of jaws getting the slotting right but finally got them to fit closely in the base. Then I tried a couple of different sizes of draw screw anchors. I ended up with the brass one pictured that I turned out of 3/4 inch stock. That allow the anchor to stay in the x axis slot in the base when loosened enough to disengage from the y axis half round slots. Milling off the bottom of the anchor allows it drop out of the half slot, and slide along in the x axis slot without dragging beneath the vise bottom.
IMG_0444.JPGIMG_0434.JPGIMG_0445.JPG

Next,I sliced jaw faces off the "mistake" jaws I mentioned earlier, and drilled, countersunk, and slotted them. Then I drilled and tapped the jaws to accept the faces (two 1/4-20s in the fixed and, and four 8/32s in the moveable one)
IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0454.JPGIMG_0453.JPGIMG_0460.JPG

I also cut 90 degree grooves in the faces to help hold roundstock. Since the faces were cut from the mistakes they don't fit flush with the base, but cosmetics aside, they work well enough. I ran a face cutter over all the surfaces to clean it up, and I'm fairly pleased with the results

IMG_0466.JPGIMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0453.JPG IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

Very nice job, beautiful work.

Thanks, Jim. Took me a while to finish. Made a ball turner just to make the draw screw washer. I'm easily distracted :))

Very nice work, Monk. Details carefully worked out.

Most of what I do is making tools for the tools. That's what makes it a hobby.

Wow! Great job.

Thanks for sharing the results.

Eric

Very nice job! I should like to make one like this!

Very nice!
I know what you mean with the distraction thing..every time you start something you see the need to make another tool.

Monk
Love it and the nut was special. Keep it coming.

Back