And so it begins!

Powered it up Saturday morning and by the time Dabbler showed up had printed a test file. No issues at all. Now to learn slicer.
Pierre

AB4AA9C3-EA17-4623-B8A3-A3FB0B914E21.jpeg

I bought a cheap resin (SLA?) printer nearly a year ago. It just sits there. I guess it was more anout prive (100$ shipped) then need. I am interested in printimg figurines and models. Creality LD-200H. I think it's a 2k, pretty shabby. But likely good enough for the stl files I bought on etsy. Downloaded a few also.

Resin printers are more precise as I understand it then the spool variety. But the material is insufficient for say printed change gears. Perhaps if you made molds from the prints and cast them in zamak. But then there's shrinkage issues to deal with.

Anyone actually using 3d printed gear sets successfully?

I make filter holders for Canon R series cameras, using a coworkers machine. This is the first I made on this machine.
Pierre
685DAD78-EDEC-4A5E-8689-C713BE7C1C44.jpeg
4088259F-4857-4550-BDB8-B172DB22A474.jpeg

I bought a cheap resin (SLA?) printer nearly a year ago. It just sits there. I guess it was more anout prive (100$ shipped) then need. I am interested in printimg figurines and models. Creality LD-200H. I think it's a 2k, pretty shabby. But likely good enough for the stl files I bought on etsy. Downloaded a few also.

Resin printers are more precise as I understand it then the spool variety. But the material is insufficient for say printed change gears. Perhaps if you made molds from the prints and cast them in zamak. But then there's shrinkage issues to deal with.

Anyone actually using 3d printed gear sets successfully?
I guess I'll soon find out. Just yesterday I resin-printed a few gears from a .stl file sent to me by a fellow I know from a model railroading forum:

DSZ_0319.jpg

The squares are 1/4" graph paper; the gears are for a N scale locomotive. I'm not convinced they'll hold up, but he wants to try.

That's really why I'm here now at this forum. I started a brass scratchbuild of a HOn3 steam locomotive, got intimidated by the tool investment and some of the techniques, so I switched to 3D printing. Resin it was, needed the detail; things went well until I started to consider the mechanical parts. Consumer resin is just too brittle; haven't tried any of the engineering resins, but instead I switched back to metalwork for the frame, rods, gears, and other mechanical parts. The Sherline 30%-off deal last year got me going, still figuring things out.

Back