And yet another hammer

TMP-NET

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
One of my first learning projects was a smaller hammer to help with setup. Learned a lot and while the proportions are OK I'll likely make another for myself.

When I was showing it to my son, a welder-fabricator, he mentioned he could use a medium sized soft face hammer for his setups. So.... like any good dad, guess what became the next project on the list.

After a bit of design work, mostly based around stock available and desired size, I got to work.

In addition to getting more chip and set up experience, learned a bit about press fitting hot and cold parts and am still working out how to get good finish on lathe & mill but got it done before I had to head out of town.

My little funky hammer shown for the fun of it.

My follow up learn-build list includes more finish tools as well as a stamping fixture but it came out decent and he's already putting it to use so a win all around.

Karl
TMP-NET
Too many projects, not enough time.

Attachments

• 20240518_130442.jpg
    20240518_130442.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 46
Looks good. Several years ago I made up a design for a hammer, and one of these days I may get around to making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic.
Nice job.

I think my first filing experience was making a hammer in metal shop.
We were taught how to file with lighter cutting files. Just when I had it ready for buffing I would catch a burr and have to keep filing.

Back