[How-To] Android tablet question

jarhead

Registered
Registered
What Android tablet are you using with TouchDRO?

I tried to do an advanced search to find this and I was unsuccessful, probably just my inexperience on the forum.

Hi all, as it says I am looking for tablet choices as I have decided to go with the TouchDRO. I have read the requirements on Yuriys Toy's site. As I am browsing Amazon I see there are allot of choices and the price range goes from $40 up.

I am 66 and wear bifocals so I am thinking a 10" screen but may go to an 8" based upon opinions posted.

I have a Grizzly knee mill G9902 (looks like the Bridgeports and Lagun's I used to operate).
I also have a Grizzly G0750G gunsmith lathe.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks , Joe

What Android tablet are you using with TouchDRO?

I tried to do an advanced search to find this and I was unsuccessful, probably just my inexperience on the forum.

Hi all, as it says I am looking for tablet choices as I have decided to go with the TouchDRO. I have read the requirements on Yuriys Toy's site. As I am browsing Amazon I see there are allot of choices and the price range goes from $40 up.

I am 66 and wear bifocals so I am thinking a 10" screen but may go to an 8" based upon opinions posted.

I have a Grizzly knee mill G9902 (looks like the Bridgeports and Lagun's I used to operate).
I also have a Grizzly G0750G gunsmith lathe.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks , Joe
Joe,
At this point most tablets are compatible (a few years ago many Chinese tablets were running an old Android that was skinned to look like Android 4.0, but at this point that is not an issue anymore). It really depends on your budget. I test on various Samsung tablets, a few no-name tablets and old Google tablets (all the way back to 4.0) and at this point there are no significant differences in usability or performance.
If you can deal with $180 price tag, this is a really good option: Samsung Galaxy Tab A8

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks for the response Yuriy,

My budget is $100.

I was looking at the Amazon Fire since they are on sale right now. I just don't understand the "Side loading" part of installing software.

The Fire HD10 is currently 99$ but it has AD's with it. I am not sure if those pop up when you are in the TouchDRO app.

Thanks!
Joe

Thanks for the response Yuriy,

My budget is $100.

I was looking at the Amazon Fire since they are on sale right now. I just don't understand the "Side loading" part of installing software.

The Fire HD10 is currently 99$ but it has AD's with it. I am not sure if those pop up when you are in the TouchDRO app.

Thanks!
Joe
Joe,
Basically I can't deploy to Amazon App Store, so you can't install the app from there. In order to install TouchDRO app, you will need to first install Google Play Services/Google Play Store. This is the "side loading" part, since Amazon tablets don't come with Google Play Store and it's not "technically" supported. Once you have Play Store installed, you can then install TouchDRO as if it was a standard Android tablet.
There are many guides on the internet, and I know that a lot of people went that route (myself included, for a few years).

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks again Yuriy!

Anyone using a 8" tablet? Do you feel it is a big enough display?

Although Its been more than 22 years I use an accurate-rite on a Bridgeport . I'm thinking that display wasn't real large

Joe,
According to my Google Play Store stats:
51% of installs use smaller than 7 screen size
29% - 7-10 inches
17% larger than 10 inch
That said, I would go for 8" or larger. Next version will have a "vertical" mode, and 8" is barely enough for that. I suspect you will want to use the app in vertical mode, so I'd got for a 10".

main-screen-vertical.png

This is a screenshot off 10" tablet.
Regards
Yuriy

Attachments

• main-screen-vertical.png
    main-screen-vertical.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 91
For our CNC we use a Galaxy A8, 32 G, 10-1/2" screen. We keep this in the shop for shop drawings, parts lists, elevations and section drawings. Also has route sheets for parts for labeling parts as they come off the machine.
Cheers
Martin

I just made a post in a different thread about using the Fire HD. Works great and no need for complicated sideloading steps that still leave you with the rest of the crap Amazon forces on buyers.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-case-for-touchdro-in-2022.98058/post-946843

Best part of all, a factory reset puts the tablet right back where it was when you took it out of the box, which is great if you have to warranty it.

Back