Angle iron lathe stand - UPDATE (stand made)

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
A lot of you guys are leaning me towards building my own lathe stand for my ShopFox M1112 1000lb lathe.
Would box store angle iron, 2" x 2" x 1/8" thick be sufficient to build the stand from? I'd prefer square tubing but the box stores only have 16 gauge. That seems too thin to me.
UPDATE: I made an iron stand using 2"x 2" square tubing. Forgive my not-so-pretty welds. Anyways, I'll put some plywood on top and then I think this will be an awesome and sturdy stand. Way better than the one that goes with the lathe.

Attachments

• 4702B641-BC66-4560-AD6A-9522ECF501A6.jpeg
    4702B641-BC66-4560-AD6A-9522ECF501A6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Is there not a steel supplier in your area? The stuff you buy at the box store is grossly overpriced compared to a steel yard who also have a much wider selection.
I'm looking now and I do see some in the area. However, would they sell such a small amount to an individual?

I'm looking now and I do see some in the area. However, would they sell such a small amount to an individual?

You’ll buy full sticks around 20’ but it’s well worth it. A few years ago I paid $20 for a stick of 2x2x1/8” angle. Steel is expensive right now though.

You’ll buy full sticks around 20’ but it’s well worth it. A few years ago I paid $20 for a stick of 2x2x1/8” angle. Steel is expensive right now though.
Most suppliers will do non-precision cuts for a small fee, so you can get it cut in half to make it reasonable to carry in a pickup truck. They’re going to adjust prices on a frequent basis t reflect market costs so don’t be surprised by changes.

I’ve never had problems buying small qty, and still MUCH cheaper than big box stores. I try to think ahead and buy as much as I can lump in a single order. For example, it may be worth thinking about getting a 2” round bar to have some stock to use in the lathe. My local supplier gives a discount on large orders. Free delivery if it is over about $500, I’m 25 miles away but not too far from one of their major customer, a local Toyota plant.

Hi All
A lot of you guys are leaning me towards building my own lathe stand for my ShopFox M1112 1000lb lathe.
Would box store angle iron, 2" x 2" x 1/8" thick be sufficient to build the stand from? I'd prefer square tubing but the box stores only have 16 gauge. That seems too thin to me.
Also, think big for a lathe stand. It’s not just holding up the weight, you want rigidity. I’d suggest using 2” x 2” 12ga sq tube or heavier.

Look for an Alro Metal Outlet branch near you. They are my go-to metal supplier.

Are you able to weld steel so that it will sit flat (or weld the feet planar so there is no twist in the stand)? If it is a twist and you use a heavy gauge steel, you'll probably have difficulty leveling the lathe.

I agree that 1/8th is too light unless some serious bracing were done. My machine is an older Atlas (Craftsman) that I have moved by myself. So I know it isn't as heavy as your's. My stand is 3/16 wall and 1-3/4(m/l) web with multiple braces. Big box steel is soft, mine is structural steel, somewhat harder. I don't know the grade, it is from a steel supplier and I had a commercial shop do the welding. I can weld, sort of, but wanted the stand sturdy enough to park my pick-up on. (Ford W-353) Home Depot and Lowes in my area have an angle that has been folded, it is not true "angle iron". just sheet metal that has been folded. This is a steel town, they don't need real steel, just something to sell to a casual user.
My supplier has 50' sticks. They will cut (for a charge) or the buyer can cut for transport. Your call there. . . Just be sure to carry a hacksaw or torch in the trunk. You are looking to not only support the weight, but rigidity as well. If the lathe moves, the stand moves with it, as one piece, no flexing. Commercial stands are the absolute minimum weight to look good in a showroom, build something strong.

I don't care for box tube, you cannot look inside for rust, etc. Just my opinion, if you build it with heavy wall tubing, it should outlive your grandchildren. I much prefer good heavy angle, doubled up.

You would be surprised how long a piece of metal fits in a VW Jetta with the back seat folded down. Close to 11 feet. Just take a bunch of rags to rag the sticks where they touch the car.

Back