Ankle fusion

Haven't had ankle fusion. But I was recommended for wrist fusion due to “scapho-lunate advanced collapse (SLAC). Opted not too, still hurts badly and I have to limit anything that uses the wrist extensively, but my non-medical understanding is most any bone fusion results in both loss of strength and loss of mobility in that joint.

Is ankle replacement an option?

Last edited:
We are in the process...

Ankles self fusing and painful, outpatient procedure and use the skateboard thing for a couple months....no way...yet.

Instead have a lace up brace, they make a cast of your ankle and a custom lace up brace is made.

Shoes still fit or go up a size.

On second one and no pain now.

Over time the bones will fuse together so surgery not needed.

Other foot less of problem so an off the shelf support that limits movement helps.

For weekends doing yard work we have a pair of surplus army boots that seem to hold everything well enough to reduce problems as long as we limit our activity.

No need for surgery unless too late.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

:) I have an appointment on the 26th with an ankle surgeon, thanks tq good to know options. Too many bones involved, I have not heard of ankle replacement.
I looked up replacement, what I found is that it is being done now, but the procedure is having failures like early hip, and knee replacements.

Last edited:
A friend got a staph infection in his ankle several years ago that resulted in requiring fusing one of his ankles. Scary looking process, with a halo to hold everything in position while fusing. After healing he walks, drives etc. and you would never guess it was done. Good luck if that is what you end up doing. It turned out well for my friend.

If you were in the states I would recommend going to Duke.

HAHA, I'm freaked out just having to go to the airport now to go anywhere :)

They gave my wife a choice fusion or replaced
she went with the replacement minimum pain
in a couple days she was walking
pain only for open

That sounds inviting, if the longevity is there.

Back