Another Cutter Grinder

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some years ago, I started to build a tool and cutter grinder, mostly with a view to sharpening endmills. I needed to make a rotary table to mill a curved slot, so I set the grinder project aside. I finished the RT, but never got back to the grinder. This is as far as I got. That's an R8 spindle, since I have a full set of R8 collets.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7814.jpg

Today, I had a day off so I decided to make the grinder spindle. I figured an MT2 socket would be the most versatile in order to mount whatever I may need to spin as the project grows. I roughed the taper at around 1 1/2*, to be trued up with a tapered reamer.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7810.jpg

It took quite a while to ream out the MT2 socket, but it came out quite nice.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7811.jpg

I got to try out my new swing-up threading tool to cut the pre-loading thread.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7812.jpg

The finished spindle. Next step is the body that the bearings mount in.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7813.jpg

It's about time you started this one again. Been waiting since I started mine. :rofl::rofl: Keep up the good work.

"Billy G"

Now with another thread on a cutter grinder build. The temptation to build one of these may be more than I can handle.

I am looking forward to this as well....subscribed!!

Brian;

Mike is an extremely gifted machinist. His work is impeccable. This will be a great build.

"Billy G"

Awesome. I was showing some friends Bills thread. It's cool making parts and all. But when they see them parts go together to make a real live tool or machine, thats pretty dang impressive.

Then show them what a good one cost to buy, game over. ahahaha

I look forward to this thread and nice work so far.

Thanks, guys. Bill's giving me way too much credit. I'm glad this isn't a competition. :))

Since I left the spindle in the lathe for the whole operation, I couldn't test fit the bearings. They ended up just a bit too 'slip fit'. I'll probably apply a light knurl to the bearing areas to plump them up.

Mike you can try a red or pink loctite to fill the void if it is not excessive.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

I only mentioned the others for thoughts of removal later. The green has quite a grip

sent from my hand held hickymajig

The grip comes from it's gap filling ability. It removes with light heating.

"Billy G"

Back