Another HSS tooling thread

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
One thing I am getting out of my other thread here is that I will be better off using HSS instead of these carbide things I got with the purchase of the new lathe.
They cut well but not shiny clean. I have found that the LMS HSS parting off tool has a much cleaner cut than the insert tools.
So I am going to switch to HSS. From what I have learned, M2 HSS is what I should go after.
Some questions:
3/8" or 1/2" for my 9x19 lathe?
Is there a pre-ground set that I can trust in? I read the reviews on Accusize and a lot of reviewers said the bits dulled quickly in mild steel.
I would consider blanks but I am skeptical about two things; my small Lowes grinder and my skill set at grinding a quality tool.
Your thoughts?
Lastly, how much should I expect to pay for a quality set if I go that route? Let's say 5 pieces, left and right turning, parting off, outter and inner threading.

3/8. 1/2 is just extra to grind off for smaller lathes like ours. 14" swing, go for 1/2. :)

Gotta grind to get good at it. If you hit the HSS models thread, you can get a set made from keystock so you can see what they look like.

You will also need to hone them. A good stone or diamond cards are what you want there. It only takes a few minutes here and there to keep them sharp.

Inner threads are probably best with a micro100 bar or perhaps inserts. The shape you need is irritating to grind by hand.

Parting is probably best with the thin blades. My favorite setup right now is a nice US made blade from LMS in a home made rear mounted holder.

If you really want to purchase some, I might be able to be convinced to make some. I'm not sure what the forum rules are for that sort of thing, so I would need to discuss with them. I don't want to cause drama.

As Benmychree said, start with 1/4" I frequently grind up cutters from 6 and 8mm round HSS, plenty strong enough to do most cuts. (I have a 10x22 lathe). Experience from ginding a 3/8" x 1/2" tool for my shaper taught me a lot, e.g. to make a holder to take 8mm round bits even for the shaper :)

Your small grinder will work fine to sharpen your tool bits. Dont quench them
6-8mm square bits are fine on your lathe.
Now for the heretical part - I dont panic on following the traditional cutting shapes as there is heaps of leeway at our (hobby) level
Just a couple of things to remember, ensure no part of the bit below the cutting edge or point rubs on the work.
And in general HSS is used at a slower speed than carbide.

@Maplehead, you would do well to purchase HSS turning tools from @ttabbal or @Z2V. Both are skilled tool grinders and can make up a set of tools better than any commercially available set I have seen. I have personally seen tools ground by both of these guys and would be proud to own a set from them.

These tools will easily last a decade or more if you take care of them and keep them sharp. You are also welcome to join us on the model tools thread and learn to grind your own.

Reactions: Z2V
Your post said the carbide things that came with the lathe. Well ,those carbide things should be sharpened before using them. New guys tend to use them out of the box. And they don’t cut well ,if they cut at all. So people think it’s the carbide and they go to hss. Both carbide and hss have their place . When I started in a machine shop in 1953 inserts were not common. So we learned to sharpen brazed carbide tools by hand.

Last edited:
As Jim said carbide tools can be sharpened, your cheap grinder will do that as well albeit slower than a special carbide wheel.
I have sharpened all my cheap brazed carbide tools with no problems on my weal cheap grinder.

Your small grinder will work fine to sharpen your tool bits. Dont quench them
6-8mm square bits are fine on your lathe.
Now for the heretical part - I dont panic on following the traditional cutting shapes as there is heaps of leeway at our (hobby) level
Just a couple of things to remember, ensure no part of the bit below the cutting edge or point rubs on the work.
And in general HSS is used at a slower speed than carbide.
This is everything that you need to know about hss.
Great post savarin.

He was using inserts, guys.

Back