Another Logan 200 rescue

I believe that Belleville spring is placed within a cutout in the cast bearing cap. If your cap has no relief for one, you won't need the spring. The one I have came off a different model, and just happened to fit the 200. I assumed it couldn't hurt. I've been wrong before, so I didn't toss the original cap.

I really don't know what a shim or gasket would be doing between the cap and the headstock. Maybe you can assemble the cap with some sort of marking fluid and try to see what might be hitting the bearing and causing it to tighten up. If you really need a spacer, maybe cutting one from some peel away shim stock might give you the adjustment you need. Just be careful, as those preloaded nose bearings are pricey.

Let us know how it goes fitting that spindle back in.

Update: I have been able to solve the issue with the bearing cap gasket. The previous owner had put the LA-195 part on the inside of the bearing cap. Upon looking at the manual it would seem that is part is supposed to be on the outside of the cap. When I took the part out and put it on the outside everything seemed to fit perfect (now with no gasket). It may have introduced a new issue or perhaps it is unrelated. The large gear on the back gear eccentric shaft is now rubbing slightly against the pulley. There is a little play that the pulley has on the spindle so it doesn't touch the gear at all times. I never took out the back gear shaft when I disassembled my headstock. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the position of that gear? It doesn't really jump out at me upon looking at the assembly drawing.

Last edited:
Har!

Yes, that bearing shield goes on the OUTSIDE. As in, LAST! Your previous owner put it under bearing cap LA-194-1 and obviously set all of the gears on the spindle for that erroneous configuration. You will now have to rejigger both the backgear shaft and all the bits on the spindle for proper clearances now that you have the shield in the right place. It does take some fiddling, but all the spindle parts are adjustable and it will get there eventually.

The back gear shaft adjusts based on where you lock down the front/rear shaft bushings LA-126/127 with the set screws 0322. I'll bet if you look you can see two sets of set screw marks on those bushings; One set where they were originally, and one set where doofus put them! Get it all in there and start fiddling. That's what it takes. You'll figure it out.

:think1:

Back