Another Mill Choice Dilemma

The PM-940V looks like a great choice for your project. Some nice points in this video as too simple and cost effective CNC conversion. David is also using the Royal TTS system mentioned. Found the video below informative even though I do not plan to go down this path anytime soon. David, if you add in your hourly rate, you would be over the fence and on the other side. But then you would miss some of the challenge of the build.

Interesting choice on the NUC. $800 is pretty spendy for a computer that needs to run G-code. One could probably utilize a NUC in the $250 range. $190 for a touchscreen and another $70 for keyboard/mouse.
I know that Dave does his builds in the top shelf way (which is admirable), but for others, the build could probably be done for significantly less. In fact, I saw a guy use clear shower curtains for an enclosure. Did it look awesome? No. But it did the same job.
Also, even after the conversion, the PM 940 will have about 8 or 10 inches more of X travel than the Tormach.
Tormach is designed in Wisconsin but built in China.

Interesting choice on the NUC. $800 is pretty spendy for a computer that needs to run G-code. One could probably utilize a NUC in the $250 range. $190 for a touchscreen and another $70 for keyboard/mouse.
I know that Dave does his builds in the top shelf way (which is admirable), but for others, the build could probably be done for significantly less. In fact, I saw a guy use clear shower curtains for an enclosure. Did it look awesome? No. But it did the same job.
Also, even after the conversion, the PM 940 will have about 8 or 10 inches more of X travel than the Tormach.
Tormach is designed in Wisconsin but built in China.
I agree there are cheaper PC's and NUC's to run the Centroid GUI app that controls their motion controller board. I was after a configuration that would also run F360 and other apps as well. Centroid sells a NUC that includes the Windows 10 license and their software already installed and configured for ~$800, but if you want the least expensive PC for this, then one approach ($300) is covered in this video.

At this point I'm leaning away from the 940V and debating either a 728VT platform with BT30F spindle, or building my own hybrid steel/epoxy-granite mill from scratch similar to the one described in this video, but using Acorn controls. If I end up with a shower curtain for the enclosure, it will either be a Gucci or Hermès custom loomed spring fashion edition. :)

If I end up with a shower curtain for the enclosure, it will either be a Gucci or Hermès custom loomed spring fashion edition. :)

Bahaha. I figured as much!
Before you replied to my post I was looking at Tormach and was unable to determine if they are steppers or servos. There is a servo upgrade kit for the 1100 at a cost of $2000 but the MX might already be servos. Their specs are really slim.
Another thing I found interesting is that the ways are essentially Turcite way material on the Tormach.

The 1100M is stepper motion controls. You can upgrade that to servos with their M+ conversion kit costing an additional $2K. The MX comes with servos (and the BT30 spindle) but the get-started cost is nearly $20K, and they won't supply the MX version without the stand and enclosure.

I am seriously considering converting my 833T over to CNC, but the head speed is a real issue. Trying to determine how I can do a belt conversion to get the speed range.

If you haven't seen this video, you should watch it. Not cheap, but BT30, pull stud actuator, and supposedly good low speed torque driving it with the WJ200 VFD. Or there is this. That eBay spindle can be seen in action at this video - and I'm impressed he's able to hard-mill a 1-2-3 block at 2200 RPM with it. That's a lot of coin, but nice rig.

What kind of paint did you use on your lathe rebuild.
I have used three different types of paints in my builds. In all cases, I stripped back to raw castings, filled/sanded with Bondo, then used a rattle-can automotive primer. The biggest problem with the paint jobs from both mainland China and Taiwan is that they use a chalky brittle body fill to smooth the castings, and any impact against that surface will cause the filler to crumble leaving a nasty wound to the paint. This is why I strip back and re-fill.

For the custom stand I built for the PM1340, I went with an Industrial polyamide epoxy from Sherwin-Williams called Macropoxy 646. The member here Anazi built a stand for his 1340 similar to mine, used the same product and raved about it. It would be best applied with spray if you're looking to get a flat wrinkle-free surface. I rolled it on my lathe stand sicnee I wasn't looking for an "automotive" finish, and the stuff is absolutely impervious once fully cured. It is available in gallons and can be colorized to any color you'd like. It is not cheap, but if you set up a "commercial account" with S-W, the prices is basically half off. Gallon cans is the minimum size and with both parts, you're looking at something like $250 even with a commercial account. It cleans up with VM&P Naphtha.

screenshot_3976.jpg

For the repainting of my PM1340 lathe, I used a single-part polyurethane product recommended to me by Tom Lipton (OxTools on YouTube) called Steel-It. It's a clear poly with powdered stainless steel mixed into it. If you like the color ( I do ) then this is a terrific product - almost as durable as the S-W Macropoxy, and a lot easier to use since is single part. It also flows out better than the S-W products if you're using brush or roller. It's available in quarts and gallons and rattle-cans. I love this paint and plan to use it again on my CNC build. Once fully cured, it has stood up to every solvent I've thrown at it with the exception of Acetone (which will soften this paint). Contact the manufacturer to find a distributor - McMaster carries a knock-off product, but it's not as good.

screenshot_3980.jpg

On my PM935 mill build, I used another S-W product recommended by Keith Rucker (Vintage Machinery on YouTube) called Direct-to-Metal Alkyd Enamel. This is a high build alkyd enamel available in gallons that can be color matched to anything. It does NOT brush or roll well if you're after a decent flat finish, and it takes several weeks to cure. I tried brushing, stripped that off, tried rolling, stripped that off, and finally pulled out my air-assisted airless Graco which left a nice finish. Light colors will stain when way oil is left on the surface for a few days, and Acetone with soften and dull the finish.

screenshot_3982.jpg

Of the three, assuming you like the dark warm charcoal color of the Steel-it, that is the product I recommend. It also comes in a two part epoxy version which I might try using on my CNC build.

Hope this helps. Anxious to see photos of your 940.

Last edited:
Thanks David,

I was supposed to pick up the mill today but had to reschedule until Friday due to a tire problem on my truck. I'll take a look at it and determine if I want to repaint it. Since I will have it apart to do the CNC upgrade, I might as well do it. I have spray equipment so I will do it that way, it is faster and better in general.

Back