Another MLA A-11 Cross Slide

kcoffield

Registered
Registered
Having logged some time on my lathe, one area it struggles is parting. So in search of a little more rigidity, akjeff’s A-11 build motivated me to do the cross slide and rigid rear tool post.

When Jeff originally posted I couldn’t open the MLA site because of my malware flagging it but noticed if I just removed the s from https:// things were fine.

I probably would have been more inclined to cast it myself or buy a chunk of cast iron from Speedy Metals but Andy at MLA was such a nice guy I figured what the heck, bought the cross slide and rear mount tool post castings. They showed up in three days. I noted his prints were dated 1984. He told me he originally offered the kit 35 years ago and he wasn’t kidding.

1 Unboxed.JPG

So upon inspecting everything, I tossed it on my mill and roughed it out, basically just removing draft and clean up.

2 Roughing.JPG
3 Roughing.JPG

The raw casting was 13.31”L x 4.25”w x 1.25”t give our take. It cleaned up at 11.18”L x 4.06”w x 1.15”t. Having done the rough cutting, I may toss it in my furnace overnight for stress relief, even though MLA indicated the castings were already SR’d. Here it is roughed out. Nice grey iron.

4 Roughed out A-11.JPG

The print calls for it to finish at 1.00” but I’m not sure I can come up with a reason to further reduce the thickness beyond where I’m at, and just take the extra 1/8” of meat. The installed height of the compound on the cross slide could be a reason but I’ve already reconciled myself to the fact I’ll be modifying the compound to accommodate that so I’m thinking 1.125” thick.

I roughed out the rear mount tool post too. Think I’ll wait until I finish the cross slide to finish the tool post but suspect I’ll be casting myself a rigid post for the other side to mount my AXA QCTP before I’m done.

5 Rough Both.JPG

When I was deciding where to start roughing, I was eying up the t-slot positions and tried to make sure I took stock in a manner that kept them square best as possible.

6 Slot Perpendicularity.JPG

The slots are pretty well on 1 5/8” centers except one offender.

7 Slot.JPG
8 Offender.JPG

It varies a little along the length but is worst at the end shown. It’ll take some jacking around but I think I’ll get them to clean up as 3/8” slots on 1.625" centers. I mentioned in Jeff’s thread I think the kit would be better off to just omit the coring and cast it solid. It just isn’t enough stock to matter.

I’ve got a couple other projects going but will work at this when I can. I’ll also have some questions for you all about the various versions of Atlas compounds.

Best,
Kelly

Didn't have the opportunity to cut any more chips today but was reading over Andy's/MLA's notes and prints and comparing to my original cross slide.

One of the things I hadn't appreciated was the width of my original cross slide is only 3.25" and while the print calls for a finished dimension of 3.375" the notes also indicate the widths may vary form 3.25" to 3.75" depending upon (Atlas) model and year. They do? The cross slide will easily finish at 4" width. Like the overall thickness, not sure I see a downside to leaving the slide at a 4" width. Sure, there'll be 3/8" of overhang on each side if centered but more table surface and meat sound better to me. Anyone see any downside to added width?

I also noted the print calls for (6) 10-32 gib screws whereas the original uses 1/4-28 with the nose stepped down dog point style. 10-32s seem a bit wimpy, especially by the time I machine a dog point on them.

Was also looking thinking about flame or case hardening the surfaces but not sure I have the nads to lay heat to it after the finish machining. I can finish grind the flat surfaces but I don't have a good way to grind the dovetail if it moves around and is needed.

Best,
Kelly

I also noted the print calls for (6) 10-32 gib screws whereas the original uses 1/4-28 with the nose stepped down dog point style. 10-32s seem a bit wimpy, especially by the time I machine a dog point on them.

If I had it to do over again I would use the 1/4-28. Also not sure if you have a 10" or 12" lathe but the height will make a big difference on the 10" lathe. Not so much on the 12"

If I had it to do over again I would use the 1/4-28. Also not sure if you have a 10" or 12" lathe but the height will make a big difference on the 10" lathe. Not so much on the 12"
Thanks Rob. It's an early 12" Craftsman. I reconciled myself to the fact that a custom compound or adaptation for use on the cross slide would be required, but like you said, doable. I commented on iron man's thread here......but apparently he hasn't posted recently.
Best,
Kelly

Having logged some time on my lathe, one area it struggles is parting. So in search of a little more rigidity, akjeff’s A-11 build motivated me to do the cross slide and rigid rear tool post.

When Jeff originally posted I couldn’t open the MLA site because of my malware flagging it but noticed if I just removed the s from https:// things were fine.

I probably would have been more inclined to cast it myself or buy a chunk of cast iron from Speedy Metals but Andy at MLA was such a nice guy I figured what the heck, bought the cross slide and rear mount tool post castings. They showed up in three days. I noted his prints were dated 1984. He told me he originally offered the kit 35 years ago and he wasn’t kidding.

View attachment 359901

So upon inspecting everything, I tossed it on my mill and roughed it out, basically just removing draft and clean up.

View attachment 359902
View attachment 359903

The raw casting was 13.31”L x 4.25”w x 1.25”t give our take. It cleaned up at 11.18”L x 4.06”w x 1.15”t. Having done the rough cutting, I may toss it in my furnace overnight for stress relief, even though MLA indicated the castings were already SR’d. Here it is roughed out. Nice grey iron.

View attachment 359904

The print calls for it to finish at 1.00” but I’m not sure I can come up with a reason to further reduce the thickness beyond where I’m at, and just take the extra 1/8” of meat. The installed height of the compound on the cross slide could be a reason but I’ve already reconciled myself to the fact I’ll be modifying the compound to accommodate that so I’m thinking 1.125” thick.

I roughed out the rear mount tool post too. Think I’ll wait until I finish the cross slide to finish the tool post but suspect I’ll be casting myself a rigid post for the other side to mount my AXA QCTP before I’m done.

View attachment 359906

When I was deciding where to start roughing, I was eying up the t-slot positions and tried to make sure I took stock in a manner that kept them square best as possible.

View attachment 359907

The slots are pretty well on 1 5/8” centers except one offender.

View attachment 359908
View attachment 359909

It varies a little along the length but is worst at the end shown. It’ll take some jacking around but I think I’ll get them to clean up as 3/8” slots on 1.625" centers. I mentioned in Jeff’s thread I think the kit would be better off to just omit the coring and cast it solid. It just isn’t enough stock to matter.

I’ve got a couple other projects going but will work at this when I can. I’ll also have some questions for you all about the various versions of Atlas compounds.

Best,
Kelly
Looking good! I ended up cutting my T-slots on 1.640" centers, in order to catch them all, and keep them on consistent centers. I can't imagine any downside to preserving as much meat on the cross slide possible.

The difference in compound height of the 10" and 3/8" bed 12" is 1.0" If the new cross slide plus the added height of the modified pintle to mount the compound swivel is or can be made to be close to 1.0", all that you would have to do would be to replace the 12" compound slide with a 10" in order to retain the compound slide feature.

Back