Another New Lathe (that Turned Out To Be A Craftsman 12")

This was the closest image I have found to the lathe I am working on. It was taken from Tony's UK site page 2 of the early 9 and 12" lathes, there is more info about this lathe below the picture but I didn't know how to separate it from from the rest of the text on the page.

Edit by MOD - this is the "official" photo of the 101.07380. 101.07360 is the same except lacks back gear. Lathe in photo has back gears because the eccentric operating handle is visible above the spindle nose. Model numbers are not shown in any catalog although from about 1950 on new model numbers are partially used for catalog numbers (first four of the five digits).

Last edited by a moderator:
That photo is out of the 1936 Craftsman Power Tools catalog.

Robert the 1936 power tools catalog that you put into the downloads was the first place I saw this picture but I didn't know how to eliminate the price that you mentioned in an earlier post, which distracted from the representation of the lathe. It was also easier for me to copy the picture from the UK site then from the downloads file I am still learning how to do these things.

Well, you're correct about that. I don't know of a PDF handler (including Acrobat) that allows you to selectively delete or clean up part of a page. Before you can do that, you have to convert the .PDF file to a format that you have an edit capable editor for. I use .TIF files for that purpose, and also for storage of most of what I scan (which has nothing to do with machine tool manuals). Acrobat will allow you to extract single pages to another file. However, only the Adobe reader or IrfanView is free. Acrobat and Imaging are moderately expensive.

Thank you for that info Robert I am glad I didn't spend any more time then I did, and it wouldn't be the first time trying to do something that isn't possible as it stands. Maybe next week after some of my parts that I ordered come in, I will try to find some free way to use the info that is in PDF on this site. Thanks again for your earlier Downloads post by finding the closest Parts Manual for my machine and in it you stated that you didn't have the Manual for the 07381, but for others who might be interested I believe it is included just below the PDF for the 07382 and I hope it is what I think it is because I downloaded it to my desktop so I can play with it later.

If you remember where I wrote that we don't have a parts list for the 101.07381 please point me to it and I'll correct it. ***EDIT*** Never mind - I found it. I don't know why I wrote that other than as a typo as we've had one for at least 18 months. Although it and the one for the 101.07382 are both flat parts lists, not illustrated. Sears (or Atlas) didn't start doing illustrated parts lists for the 12" until around 1950. What we do not at present have are parts lists for the following:

101.07360 through 101.07363 (however, that's not critical as an 0736x is just an 0738x without back gears).

I actually have parts lists from Sears Parts Direct for all twelve models (101.07360 through 101.07403) that I downloaded while they were still readily available on their web site and converted into DBF files. However, there is considerable evidence that when a part was revised and was backwards compatible (even when you had to buy several other newer parts as well), the older parts lists show the newer part numbers. Case in point (no other parts involved) is that you said that the two gear guards on your machine were 10-247 and 10-248, Sears Parts Direct says 10D-247 and 10D-248. Now it is possible that 10-247 and 10D-247 both start life as the same casting and that the difference is in the machining. For example, the beds on the 9", 10" and 12" all seem to have 9-1, 942, 948 and 954 in the castings. But the part numbers may have a suffix A, B or C. Or no suffix. The reason is that there were at least 5 different sets of legs. And the mounting hole patterns vary.

One other thing I will add while I've got the soap box. There are no known official or original illustrated parts lists for any model not produced after WW-II. The one in DOWNLOADS for the 101.07383 was "drawn" by me, using the one for the 101.07403 as a source of most of the drawings and the flat parts list as the reference. I'm almost done with a similar one for the 10D using the 10E flat parts list and some owner reports as a reference.

Last edited:
Also, if your machine looks mostly like the one in the photo on the UK Lathes website, it is a 101.07380. 101.07381 "officially" has a cast gear guard, switch mounted in the headstock, and the later compound and cross slide assembly. However, the changes at least to those three points didn't all necessarily happen on the same day.

Robert give yourself a break for all the hours you have put in getting all these parts lists into the Downloads forum one small slip-up is no big deal and this is a concise post bringing all the pertinent info concerning what is and is not available in parts-lists in Downloads. You can get on your soapbox anytime as far as I am concerned helping new guys like me understand what the proper components make up these old lathes, thanks again for all your efforts.

Yes I do believe my lathe is a 101.7380, it will be awhile yet but I will send in any pics and info that I find of my lathe as I continue to work on it.

That's the one that I created. It has my mark on it, and the file name is in my format. I built it by combining the similar factory illustrated one for the 101.07403 and the factory flat parts list for the 101.07383. Plus some editing of a few of the drawings, for example to show the hex head bolts and babbit type spindle bearing caps. And the shape of the belt guard. Most other parts only required editing the part numbers as the scale is too small to show a difference between for example a 5/8" and a 3/4" diameter lead screw. On other parts, like the beds, the differences aren't visible in the drawings as all of the beds of the same length use the same basic castings.

Back