Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Hi @Christianstark ,

Your story had made me thinking back to my own leveling....

I agree with Mark, while there could be errors, the lathe rails should have been made very well at the factory and so should be straight. To have this metal get a twisted set in it later is difficult to believe unless it has really been abused or the metal had stresses built it before it was machined and then stresses were later relaxed somehow (excessive heat. vibration, etc). Metals are excellent linear spring materials and do not take a deformation unless they are pushed beyond the deformation limits.

However, I noticed when leveling (flattening.. as my floor has a considerable pitch) my PM1440GT, which should be even heavier than your 1340, that there was a difference in the lift of the two tail stock stand leveling screws ... it is certainly not awful, but is perceptible.. So naturally I too ask why? However, I have done nothing serious about yet. (I viewed this stiffness as probably good as it means that the lathe bed is really stout and it is not easily twisted ... or, if you believe it is bad, untwisted.) However, it was viable to twist the bed with the leveling screws so the bed and stand weight must be enough to affect things somewhat.

David's comment about leveling off of his home made stand top raises a question. Are the PM stands heavy enough to actually influence the lathe bed twist? Suppose for a second that the bottom bolt hole surface of the lathe is not parallel and flat WRT to the lathe rails or that the stand surface is not square to the sides and bottom of the stand. Then bolting the lathe bottom holes tightly to the stand would put the stand at a twist angle relative to the rails causing a torque (twisting action) on the rails/bed. Given the geometry this should be mild, but so should a slightly uneven/level floor, but it still would exist. Adjusting the stand leveling feet would tend to remove this torque, but one would not adjust them the same amount to do so. Under a severe case one could have one of the two stand feet touching the floor to try to remove this stand induced torque! As David did, we should all probably be leveling at the top of the stand rather than at the floor! Or maybe even both places.

By the way, I spent a lot of time measuring the stands for the 1440GT when I was putting them on casters. Basically they are a heavy sheet metal which has been bent/folded to 90 degrees at each corner to form a rectangular cylinder and the ends are welded together. After this, holes and plates are cut and welded to and into it. They are pretty good, but nothing precision about them and they are not square so I see no reason that their surfaces would be flat/parallel/perpendicular to the lathe rails at the bolt holes for the lathe.

If this thought is correct, then the stand weight/torque twists the lathe rails and your anchors are then being used to try to create a counter torque to removed the stand induced twist!

If your initial thought that the lathe is just not heavy enough then should we not be able to just add weights to the lathe bed (sort of what you are doing by anchoring)? And would it not be possible to just remove the tail stock to test this weight concept somewhat?

Leveling should not be all this difficult nor take a lot of time. I put my lathe on casters so I could pull it out to work on it, to clean around it, or to change the oil catching matting that I put under it. Each time I have to lift (or lower) the lathe by the leveling feet to get it off/on/off the casters.

By the way, your talking about the struggles to move your lathe reminds me that a good pry bar is very handy. I purchased this one, that has steel rollers with ball bearings, at the end. Says 3 tonne on it but I don't even have anything that big to try to lift. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHL3H7L It works great to move things or even to just lift them a bit to adjust shims, blocks or leveling feet. Most recently I use it to just move my refrigerator-freezer over a bit to better clear a cabinet.

Dave L.

Hey Dave!

Most of what I was discussing earlier in this post about "forcing" the bed to do what I want it to was more of an IF and not a when. I mostly suspect when I get the master precision level tomorrow, the final tweaking will go relatively easy. This morning I leveled the lathe with the Starrett 98. What had taken me an hour in the past, took me 10 minutes with the new system, and I was able to lock each point into place with minimal fuss. Bottom line is it was so much easier with the anchors, jack nuts, and top nuts. It was also much easier this way to one tune, now that I am actually moving what I want to move, and able to repeatably lock it into place. For the fine leveling I expect it to take no time once I get the level calibrated. The other level was utter crap. I literally threw it in the trash.

A side effect of what I did was now the lathe seems so much more rigid. The whole lathe used to shake a bit if something was chucked eccentrically, and I could shake the lathe and it would wiggle a bit on the stand. Now that the lathe is anchored, it is orders of magnitude more solid. I am hoping this carries through once I am spinning stock, but worst case scenario is I have to put it back on its factory feet, and I am out $52 in materials, 3 hours, and 1 Aleve.

Here is how she sits this morning. If the rigidity holds, and there aren't any unforeseen consequences, I am absolutely doing this to my 833TV next. This house was built in 1960, and there is over 1/2" of floor slope from left to right, and front to back.
IMG_3723.jpeg

Hi @Christianstark ,

Your story had made me thinking back to my own leveling....

I agree with Mark, while there could be errors, the lathe rails should have been made very well at the factory and so should be straight. To have this metal get a twisted set in it later is difficult to believe unless it has really been abused or the metal had stresses built it before it was machined and then stresses were later relaxed somehow (excessive heat. vibration, etc). Metals are excellent linear spring materials and do not take a deformation unless they are pushed beyond the deformation limits.

However, I noticed when leveling (flattening.. as my floor has a considerable pitch) my PM1440GT, which should be even heavier than your 1340, that there was a difference in the lift of the two tail stock stand leveling screws ... it is certainly not awful, but is perceptible.. So naturally I too ask why? However, I have done nothing serious about yet. (I viewed this stiffness as probably good as it means that the lathe bed is really stout and it is not easily twisted ... or, if you believe it is bad, untwisted.) However, it was viable to twist the bed with the leveling screws so the bed and stand weight must be enough to affect things somewhat.

David's comment about leveling off of his home made stand top raises a question. Are the PM stands heavy enough to actually influence the lathe bed twist? Suppose for a second that the bottom bolt hole surface of the lathe is not parallel and flat WRT to the lathe rails or that the stand surface is not square to the sides and bottom of the stand. Then bolting the lathe bottom holes tightly to the stand would put the stand at a twist angle relative to the rails causing a torque (twisting action) on the rails/bed. Given the geometry this should be mild, but so should a slightly uneven/level floor, but it still would exist. Adjusting the stand leveling feet would tend to remove this torque, but one would not adjust them the same amount to do so. Under a severe case one could have one of the two stand feet touching the floor to try to remove this stand induced torque! As David did, we should all probably be leveling at the top of the stand rather than at the floor! Or maybe even both places.

By the way, I spent a lot of time measuring the stands for the 1440GT when I was putting them on casters. Basically they are a heavy sheet metal which has been bent/folded to 90 degrees at each corner to form a rectangular cylinder and the ends are welded together. After this, holes and plates are cut and welded to and into it. They are pretty good, but nothing precision about them and they are not square so I see no reason that their surfaces would be flat/parallel/perpendicular to the lathe rails at the bolt holes for the lathe.

If this thought is correct, then the stand weight/torque twists the lathe rails and your anchors are then being used to try to create a counter torque to removed the stand induced twist!

If your initial thought that the lathe is just not heavy enough then should we not be able to just add weights to the lathe bed (sort of what you are doing by anchoring)? And would it not be possible to just remove the tail stock to test this weight concept somewhat?

Leveling should not be all this difficult nor take a lot of time. I put my lathe on casters so I could pull it out to work on it, to clean around it, or to change the oil catching matting that I put under it. Each time I have to lift (or lower) the lathe by the leveling feet to get it off/on/off the casters.

By the way, your talking about the struggles to move your lathe reminds me that a good pry bar is very handy. I purchased this one, that has steel rollers with ball bearings, at the end. Says 3 tonne on it but I don't even have anything that big to try to lift. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHL3H7L It works great to move things or even to just lift them a bit to adjust shims, blocks or leveling feet. Most recently I use it to just move my refrigerator-freezer over a bit to better clear a cabinet.

Dave L.

Hi @Christianstark ,

Looks nice!

My house was built in 1930 ... on clay. It is heavy with substantial walls (outside walls are ~ 11-12" thick via tile with bricks on the outside, lots of thick plaster on the tile and plaster and lath for interior walls, and a big slate roof). Fortunately they put big wide footers under the walls and posts and the concrete they poured for the floor seems to be stronger than today's concrete. Clay is probably the worst material to put a foundation on so over the years it has moved a lot ... but slowly. The floor slopes, but my guess is that most of it was intentional for drainage. So the drop from one end of my lathe to the other is about an inch. I could have poured more concrete, but what is the point. I just used a little longer bolts for the feet.

In fact, my mill location is also pitched and I leveled my PM940M-CNC-VS mill. However, after running it for a while with the flood coolant system I decided to actually pitch the mill stand so that the coolant would drain back down to the pump without their being a big puddle surrounding the mill on its stand.

Dave L.

The 1960 slab was the hardest masonry drilling I have done in my life. They don’t even make concrete like they used to…

Hi @Christianstark ,

Looks nice!

My house was built in 1930 ... on clay. It is heavy with substantial walls (outside walls are ~ 11-12" thick via tile with bricks on the outside, lots of thick plaster on the tile and plaster and lath for interior walls, and a big slate roof). Fortunately they put big wide footers under the walls and posts and the concrete they poured for the floor seems to be stronger than today's concrete. Clay is probably the worst material to put a foundation on so over the years it has moved a lot ... but slowly. The floor slopes, but my guess is that most of it was intentional for drainage. So the drop from one end of my lathe to the other is about an inch. I could have poured more concrete, but what is the point. I just used a little longer bolts for the feet.

In fact, my mill location is also pitched and I leveled my PM940M-CNC-VS mill. However, after running it for a while with the flood coolant system I decided to actually pitch the mill stand so that the coolant would drain back down to the pump without their being a big puddle surrounding the mill on its stand.

Dave L.

Also of note, the lathe needs to settle in.

You are bending a large chunk of cast iron.

Stiing on a floor, everything can and will move.

Give it a week and recheck.

If it moves some adjust a little.

Repeat until it stops moving and is correct.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Tired after the last few days, but let’s just say that the old master precision level is exactly the POS I thought it was. The new level worked like a charm. Took 10 minutes to calibrate it, and less than an hour to get it to what I consider close enough.

So I leveled everything up, and dialed the head into tram.

Have not had a chance to do the 2 collar yet, as I had some non-precision parts to make for my quick Jack. My lathe is now cutting a convex face. These parts are about 3” at the base, and I can spin them like a top.

My cross slide isn’t perpendicular to the spindle.

Attachments

• 3506856F-C10A-4D2E-845D-AEB493B70080.jpeg
    3506856F-C10A-4D2E-845D-AEB493B70080.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 52
Back