Another one bites the dust .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just heard Jan. 30th will be the last printing at the Baltimore Sunpapers plant . Sad news even though everyone knew the day would eventually get here . Still have lots of friends and ex-coworkers down there mending the presses . The printing will be going to Wilmington Del. I heard , not sure if people have the right to relocate just yet . I copied a pic off my buddies FB page of the 20" Colchester in the shop . We also had a 17" Colchester as well as a 13" Metosa . Under Armour most likely will knock the building to the ground , I'll have to investigate what the machinery will be doing . My buddy Gene runs the plant as well as the Allentown plant . We'll see . Glen on the Clausing . :grin: His dad worked at Goss years ago as a machinist and manufactured our colorliners .

Attachments

• lathe at sun.jpg
    lathe at sun.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 54
Yeah, sad news.
the world is changing fast, not always for the better.
so it goes…..

I delivered the afternoon paper in Raleigh, NC as a kid for about 18 months. I believe they closed up shop around 1990.

My first money job was delivering the Toronto Star. Did it from 1970 to 79, then my sister and brother took over for a spell. Bought my first car, 69 Chevelle with some of the money, in 1981. Worked at Great Buffalo Press where we did all the weekend comics for the major papers in North America. It was fun catching up on the funnies, but the oil ink mist and paper dust would fill your lungs over a period of time. Got out of there when my cough started looking like the color I was standing beside. I don’t miss that job.
Pierre

we stopped getting a paper about 8-10 years ago. we were paying for papers from 2 sources, and neither was getting delivered. There was always an excuse, but I think they just didn't have people to deliver.On an average week we were calling up 4 or 5 days for missing papers.

So in addition to the internet killing the papers, so did their delivery, and quite truthfully their attitude about the missing papers.
I do miss a paper. I don't read the newspaper we subscribe to the same as I would read a paper. A lot of it gets lost... It's not as easy to thumb through, and the ads are totally annoying and interfering.

My elder brother works as a press operator in Missouri so I get a little nervous when I hear of the plants closing down. He's hoping to keep working there for a few more years until he can retire, but the company won't spend the money to maintain the equipment. It's only a matter of time.

My elder brother works as a press operator in Missouri so I get a little nervous when I hear of the plants closing down. He's hoping to keep working there for a few more years until he can retire, but the company won't spend the money to maintain the equipment. It's only a matter of time.
The BS had 48 total Goss Colorliners , most being 4 highs ( 4 different colors per press ) , and grouped into 4 units . Unit 3 was decomissioned and was used as a parts replacement unit . Money was tight to say the least , we couldn't even get shop supplies at times . The building itself was spectacular as well as the machine and maintenance shop . Some of our press guys actually worked part time up at a plant on I 81 in Pa. 100 miles each way . I talked to my boss yesterday and he told me to get their resumes to him . Some can retire , some cant . Hopefully we can get one or two mechanics . :encourage:

Back