Another PM30MV Z Axis Lift thread

LabDad

Registered
Registered
I have read more than a few of the existing posts regarding the Installation of DIY or Priest Tool Z Axis Lifts for the PM30MV. The detail that keeps escaping me is in the applications where soemone has either done the DIY approach to Elevating Lead Screw (ala Priest Tool), how are these drives (incl. the Priest) being attached to the Z axis Elevating Lead screw? I would thought that someone would havementioned either a Cross pin through the shaft or a cutting keyway. Yet, thus far I haven't seen anything that points in that direction. I've inuired from Priest, but, as of this post I haven't received a definitive answer. Right now I'm leaning towrad the WyoGreen approach of modifying the existing handle.

TIA

I thought i had seen on the Priest Tool web site the instructions were available to download. Hope this helps.

I thought i had seen on the Priest Tool web site the instructions were available to download. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much, I reviited their site and found it. It appears that their method employs a M16 -1.5 thread inside the Lower half of the Lovejoy coupling and then "jam" it against the bottom existing the lower Bearing Retaining Nut. The existing Top Retaining nut is removed. I'm now contemplating removing the "Z" Axis Lead Screw and cutting a Keyway. Idon't feel warm and toasty over the Jam Nut/Coupling approach. I'll probably get a Blank Lovejoy "L" style drill and tap the lower half for M16-1.5 and broach a Keyway. I may be totally off base here but the concept of the Jam Coupling to Nut arrangement just doesn't sit well.

I am in the process of converting mine - i purchased this:
8x16 coupler - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832823188766.html
12V 157 RPM Motor - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805962818965.html

Motor is still clearing customs so i don't know if that RPM is too fast or slow. For the coupler i used my lathe to thread the larger side. Probably should have purchased a 8x14 coupler and bored it out a bit but the coupler has a pinch bolt to take up any slack. It seems to be on there good when turning by hand but time will tell. I plan to build stand offs and mount the motor to a plate similar to the Priest tools instructions. I think i'll have about $50 into it not including scraps and other odds and ends i have kicking around.

LabDad, Note that if you are not already a Donor of any Level, you will get a slightly less than informative error message if you try to open for read or download anything in Downloads. Or the code just will not allow you to do either one. The minimum amount required is $10.00 per year and the only current method for making a donation is through PayPal.

Last edited:
Back