Another project off the list - Kysor/Johnson bandsaw

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This saw is too big for my shop, but it was offered to me for free from the place I retired from. They were going to scrap it out, because it had a number of issues, including the gearbox sounding like an old meat grinder. Well, it might not look like new, but it cuts like new now!

All new bearings/seals in the gearbox (the worm gear and wheel were still in excellent shape), made a Y base for it and installed lockable casters, complete teardown, cleaning and repairing of other issues, everything aligned so it cuts nice and straight and square. I even got two nice blades with it, one brand new and the other still in good shape.

I figured if I kept it, it would always be in my way because of its' size and the limited size left available in my shop. So, it had to have casters. I already had a 6-1/2 x 10 bandsaw, but at times, it was too small for a job. So, it's got a new home until I get tired of moving it out of my way! :)

Ted

PXL_20210722_201244510.jpg

I had that identical saw . One of our Pa. members who makes knives now owns it . :) Did you get the chip pan and coolant tank ?

They are a beast!
That saw almost flipped my Kubota over frontwards . o_O I had to get my neighbors Bobcat loader to place it on my trailer when I delivered it to another HM member . He loved the saw .

That saw almost flipped my Kubota over frontwards . o_O I had to get my neighbors Bobcat loader to place it on my trailer when I delivered it to another HM member . He loved the saw .
Manual states it weighs 700 pounds but even on the casters, pushing it around, it feels a lot heavier lol.

My bucket is rated for 685 lbs . It wouldn't lift it . The rear tires lifted off the ground even with counter weights on the ass end ! :big grin: They are very nice saws but I just didn't have the space to keep it .

Hobbyist here. Recently purchased this model Johnson. It certainly is a beast! Love the looks and it is in generally good mechanical shape. Repaired cracked leg casting. Need to refurbish the hydraulic cylinder that regulates down speed and lube/coolant pump needs resealing. Otherwise a great old machine. Yes it does take up a ton of room. PO added casters, but that needs rework to be stout enough for this bad boy. I am hoping there might be a way to also use as horizontal saw, but have not pursued that. I find that useful on the little Jet I have and my mid-size Emerson. Yes, I have too many horizontal metal cutting bandsaws. And metal lathes, and vertical wood cutting bandsaws and - - -

I bought an old Marvel 612 a few years ago. Went to pick it up, had to leave it.
These old saws weigh 500+ pounds. Not an easy lift For two guys.
Neat saw!
How’s the old girl doing Ted?

Back