Another Threading Question

SteveM

Active User
Registered
I'm a newby who's been at this a couple years. I can cut standard threads pretty predictably but recently needed to cut metric thread and it's been a total shambles. I have a 12x36 Shop Fox lathe with quick change gear box and it's approximately a year old and hasn't been crashed yet:)) The problem is I'm trying to cut a 1.5mm thread and that is definitely what I get. Have read the manual over and over, pulled up the manual of similar machines, but nothing seems to help. Has anyone else run into this? Yesterday I changed back to standard and cut a good 1.0 x 12 thread first time, no problem, just to be sure it wasn't a basic machine problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated.In the meantime I'm going to count teeth to be positive the gears are correctly marked.

Even if you have a quick change gear box, you need to change some gears in the transmission for changing it to metric. This is how mine works..... I do not really know about your lathe but I am pretty sure it should be the same.

I am sure somebody in the forum will be able to help you with that particular lathe

"The problem is I'm trying to cut a 1.5mm thread and that is definitely what I get."

I'm not understanding you. You get the thread, or you get shambles? What is the problem with the thread? Are you using the correct gears for the desired thread?

Chuck

I've done that according to the manual but.................I get a very pretty thread which is incorrect:) Am totally bumfuzzled as to what's going on. The Grizzly version shows the 86 & 91 tooth gears reversed but my change gears are made with the opposite position designed in so that's not any option.

Yes, reversing the 86/91 tooth gears is not an option. Per the manual I'm not releasing the half nuts although I've read several different opinions on the subject. I'm ending up with a great looking thread with incorrect pitch.
I assume that the word "not" is missing from that sentence.

Sorry.....you said 12x36.....it is not in the web page.....

Back