Another threading thread!

It takes a little " trail and error" but it will come and you'll be an expert!
On a side note, you would have had better results if you used some cutting oil when threading aluminum. It looked like you had a little bit of material build up on your tool bit. Typical with some alum.

Also, check the feed direction! I tried and tried to get a nut onto the thread to no avail. I bought a set of thread gauge wires (a little tricky to use) to measure the pitch diameter and found my pitch diameter well within spec. I couldn't understand why the nut wouldn't go on. Finally, I realized that I cut a left hand thread! Argh!
Ha! Didn't notice that in the pic.

Glad you're getting the hang of it, though.

Tom

Okay. Now, that I've "mastered" (yeah right!) external threads, I've been thinking about doing an internal thread.

So, I have a few questions:
1. Does a boring bar give better results than just using a drill bit in the tail stock? Is the boring bar truer? More precise?
2. Do I place the compound at 29.5 degrees as with an external thread, but place it a about 7 o'clock instead?
3. Can I use an internal threading tool as a boring bar? I see no difference except for a deeper reach with the boring bar.

Thanks!

1.) Using a boring bar will result in a better outcome, but you could get by using a drill bit. A boring bar is far more precise.
2.) You do set the compound at 29.5 deg. but which direction depends on if you're cutting a left hand or right hand thread.
3.) A boring bar can be used for threading or boring with the correct tooling. A threading tool is just that.

1.) Using a boring bar will result in a better outcome, but you could get by using a drill bit. A boring bar is far more precise.
2.) You do set the compound at 29.5 deg. but which direction depends on if you're cutting a left hand or right hand thread.
3.) A boring bar can be used for threading or boring with the correct tooling. A threading tool is just that.

2. I'm cutting a right hand thread, so am I correct in setting the compound at 7:00 position?

Yes. Cutting a right hand thread external the compound typically sits at 11:00-5:00 give or take. Right hand thread internal, swing it across to 1:00-7:00. Your're still cutting the trailing slope of the thread form, just on the inside of the hole.

-frank

I guess the dial would be backwards since I need to retract the tool to cut deeper?

Is your internal thread going to be a "through" hole or a "blind" hole?

Back