Another Toolmaster spinning!

Rookie chips

Registered
Registered
Yeah!!
Just finished the wiring, must have done it right. My Cincinnati mill is alive after sitting in my shop for a year. As my "handle" says, I'm greener than a July cornfield and this is my first non introduction post concerning at least being able to make chips and my first mill.
The only paperwork that I have is my receipt and I'm wondering first of all how to ID my machine and order or download some information on it. Hope you guys let me "lean" on you for a while, that is with your collective knowledge and maybe incan get me on my feet.20200104_132133.jpg
I also have an old (<1912) Prentice Bros. Lathe that now has power and is "alive".
20200104_132138.jpg
20200104_132108.jpg
Been waiting for this day for a long time, now I don't know what to do :D.
Edit-better level it up, there's a very slight "rock" to it sitting on the concrete. What's the best footing for it? Leave it on the 'crate and shim it, or something like conveyor belting?

Welcome to the site chips . You won't stay green long , plenty of members here willing to share . :) If the mill is in its permanent position , I would shim it level and lag it , re-check level in a month , then grout it in .

The Prentice is an interesting looking machine. Is the right bottom section a center, or end support, and what is bed length? You will find a lot of helpful folks here, and welcome to the site. Cheers, Mike

Here's one on Vintage machinery from 1909. Swing may be different, but otherwise looks the same. Seems like a pretty high end unit for the day. 1578232097781.pngMike

1578232097781.png

I like my Cincys. I started with a 1B. Gave her to a friend, and now run a 1D.
Yours looks like an MT. newer than my stuff. If it is an MT then I don't know how different it may/might not be.
I've had to tear down both heads before use. My 1D also needed alot of electrical work (somebody had cut most of the wires in the column before she came to me.
Regardless, Please PM me if I can be of any assist.
The PMs somehow end up in my emails.

Daryl
MN

That's a cute little Cinci! I didn't know they came in pint size.

Vintagemachinery.org has over 100 different Cincinnati mill manuals, best head over and check it out http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2097&tab=3

On your 3-phase, are you really running without breakers or fuse protection on your output side? Sure looks like it from the photo. Is that the manufacturer's recommendation?

Very nice. It looks a lot like my 1D. Most of the manuals are available here on HM (go to "Downloads" and search "Toolmaster"). I really like the Toolmaster - big enough to be very handy, not too heavy, easy to power and pretty compact. I don't use it much (other options), but I'm in no hurry to get rid of it.

Shim the machine level (of course get rid of the rocking). Being level is not required, but sometimes it is nice to help with an unusual set up (if the part is level, then it will be parallel to the table).

Enjoy it and let us know how you make out. David

Get us some pictures of the tags - I'll glance through the Serial Number Reference book for Metalworking Machinery.
I've got the 7th edition.

Sorry for my absence, and thanks for your help. Mom's loosing her memory and I've been busy with that.
I'll start with mike about my lathe and mostly let the pictures talk since I truly am "green" and that includes terminology of the components. I did measure the swing @ about 7.5" and there's about 27" between the tail stock and the chuck.20200108_162329.jpg20200108_162152.jpg20200108_162132.jpg
....and also notice the Stanley 25' tape measure, I was born with one in my hand and in my work, the next to the smallest "marks" was just fine as my pencil left a wider mark . Told you I was green!

Back