Another unknown lathe, help with identification?

towntw

Registered
Registered
I've been keeping my eyes open for a small lathe I might use in my clock repair hobby along with possibly other odds and ends in stuff in which I like to dabble. I recently picked up the lathe pictured at a local auction. I realize it's not complete. But I'd like to try to identify at least what it is I have.

The bed is 27 inches long. There is no true tailstock other than the holder mounted to the cross slide. The cross slid moves side-to-side by means of the hand wheel at the tail end. The spindle has two (not so very different) belt positions and currently has a short belt on it. The spindle has two oil cups and is threaded at 2-1/4x8. This seems like a pretty large spindle given the overall size of the lathe. There are also a couple of parts hanging off the head that would imply there was originally something more to this.

For as small as it is, this probably weighs 75 pounds or so. There are no markings or plates of any kind that I could find anywhere on it. Any thoughts as to what this may be? Thanks!

Attachments

• Lathe01.jpg
    Lathe01.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Lathe02.jpg
    Lathe02.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Lathe03.jpg
    Lathe03.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Lathe04.jpg
    Lathe04.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Lathe05.jpg
    Lathe05.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Lathe06.jpg
    Lathe06.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Lathe07.jpg
    Lathe07.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 55
That looks unusual. Especially the lead-screw up the middle of the ways.
I wonder if it's some kind of pipe threader.....that might explain the large spindle and lack of tailstock.

I will look around a bit over at: www.lathes.co.uk , however I do NOT recall one like this......

-brino

Last edited:
Thanks, brino. At least I came up with something unusual right out of the chute and it wasn't a silly question. I appreciate your input. I'll look around at pipe-threading lathes to see if I seen anything similar.

I don't think so.
The leadscrew would need to disconnect from the carraige for it to work.

I don't think so.
The leadscrew would need to disconnect from the carraige for it to work.

I guess it wasn't clear to me that the tailstock-looking thing was connected to the carriage.....hhhhmmmmmm....but looking again I think it is...
Strange.

-brino

Yes, the tailstock thing is connected to and moves with the carriage. And the carriage is moved by the leadscrew. The piece that rides the leadscrew is attached to the bottom of the carriage. There isn't any provision for any sort of quick-disconnect.

Back