Another VFD question

Jubil

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am attempting to wire a vfd to my universal grinder. Can someone tell me if the vfd pictured is compatible with the motor tag pictured?
I wired it 230v single phase in and 3phase out, set parameters, turned it on and got error OC-u which is acceleration over currency. Increased accel. speed to 60 sec, still same code.
Wired 3ph in and 3ph out, (rpc) and got same code. Motor is practically new and runs fine on rpc. Am I missing something?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chuck08299E9D-E5D4-465E-B0B7-ADAEDB34250C.jpeg
3DC08266-30F2-4AD7-9326-6485B1D8138C.png

I can't comment on the suitability of VFD to motor but if it was me I would buy a name brand VFD.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Teco-Westinghouse.
I have an import VFD powering the spindle on my CNC router and it's a quirky thing to setup and often looses the settings for no apparent reason.

I can't comment on the suitability of VFD to motor but if it was me I would buy a name brand VFD.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Teco-Westinghouse.
I have an import VFD powering the spindle on my CNC router and it's a quirky thing to setup and often looses the settings for no apparent reason.
Thanks David.
Nothing I would like better than buying a quality product and do so when funds allow. But it just ain’t in the budget.
Chuck

Thanks David.
Nothing I would like better than buying a quality product and do so when funds allow. But it just ain’t in the budget.
Chuck
My apologies! I totally misunderstood... I thought you were asking if the pictured VFD would be ok for that motor.
Totally get you on budget!

My apologies! I totally misunderstood... I thought you were asking if the pictured VFD would be ok for that motor.
Totally get you on budget!
No apology necessary. I AM asking if they are compatible, but price is the reason I bought it.

It should work, you may have to check the motor parameters and base speed. If the grinder is belted see if the motor will run w/o the belt or grinding wheels. There are settings for increasing the overload torque/current. Try running in sensorless vector with a shorter acceleration time, say 5-10 seconds. A number of these VFD's are defective out of the box for one reason or another. The Teco L510, Fuji, GS21 are not much more and should work better with no need to up-size the VFD. I understand budget, but sometimes I spend more in the long run, trying to start out with the least expensive option.

Is the motor wired for 230VAC?

It should work, you may have to check the motor parameters and base speed. If the grinder is belted see if the motor will run w/o the belt or grinding wheels. There are settings for increasing the overload torque/current. Try running in sensorless vector with a shorter acceleration time, say 5-10 seconds. A number of these VFD's are defective out of the box for one reason or another. The Teco L510, Fuji, GS21 are not much more and should work better with no need to up-size the VFD. I understand budget, but sometimes I spend more in the long run, trying to start out with the least expensive option.

Is the motor wired for 230VAC?
Thanks
Yes it is wired 230vac.
I tried several acceleration rates, all had same result.
Will try removing belt tomorrow but I suspect faulty vfd. Just hoping someone knew a setting or something that might cause the problem.
Chuck

Some of my VFD's have max current settings. Do you see anything like this in the VFD manual?

Some of my VFD's have max current settings. Do you see anything like this in the VFD manual?
I am not finding any current or voltage settings in the manual.
Fault code says: cause - small acceleration time or component fail, diagnosis - increase acceleration time.
Chuck

I am not finding any current or voltage settings in the manual.
Fault code says: cause - small acceleration time or component fail, diagnosis - increase acceleration time.
Chuck

It also might be called something like trip current. But it doesn't sound like a settable parameter on your VFD.

The faster the motor spins up to speed the more current it will draw. By putting in a long spin up time you should be minimizing the current being drawn during spinup.

Is the VFD wired directly to the 3ph motor with nothing between them? No wires shorted? No funny grounding in the connections? If so it sounds like you have a bad VFD. I would expect your motor to at least budge before throwing the over current fault you describe if the VFD is working.

EDIT: You could put a clip on ammeter over one of the 3 phase legs between the VFD and the motor to see if ANY current registers... if you happen to have one. I would not worry too much about doing this though as it is probably your VFD.

Last edited:
Back