Another wiring question

BWS Arms

Registered
Registered
Can someone tell me which terminal is for the 3ph leg? I am attaching pics of my lathe wiring. I can’t see which terminal is L1, L2, or L3.IMG_0346[1448].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It would appear that all 3 are the 3 phase conductors, it makes no difference which is which.

I am not a full fledged electrician, but did manage to wire 3 shops with 3 phase power, 2 with real 3 phase from the power company and my last one with a home made rotary phase converter, I have yet to "let the smoke out".

I have another lathe and mill but they are on VFD's. This is my first trip with a RPC.

A possible distinction is, if you are using a Rotary Phase Converter, there is a "wild leg" and it's best not to use that leg where the leg will be independently used as a single-phase source. In your schematic 'w' would be the wild leg, if there is one. Which *probably* corresponds to 'L3'.

GsT

I just tried running my RPC for the first time. The 15hp motor was turning slow and it tripped the 60 amp breaker in the panel. It’s a brand new RPC. I have it fed with about 75’ of 6 gauge wire.

Here is the wiring diagram the builder sent me and a picture of the way I have it wired. Do I need to move one of the incoming feed wire?

Attachments

• RPC Wiring1.jpg
    RPC Wiring1.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 9
  • RPC wiring.jpg
    RPC wiring.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10
Assuming the wiring diagram in post 2 is for your lathe it appears the lathe is set up for 380 volts input. What voltage is your RPC outputing? In your photo in post 9 if you are feeding your RPC with 220v (leads coming in the top) I think the white wire should be connected to the left terminal not the center.

Back