Anti-Freeze as coolant

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a Kalamazoo 7AW bandsaw on Craig's list for eighty bucks. It was very dirty and the blade was shot. Other than that it is complete and works perfectly (after a thorough cleanup and new blade which came with it).

I have several gallons of anti-freeze that I've had for years and was wondering if I could use it as coolant.

Your thoughts?

I am sure Anti-freeze would be better than nothing at all, It would keep the blade and material cool.... But then again so will water. I think buying some proper coolant will save you a ton of money in band saw blades in the long run.

Back when I was tight on cash I used to just put kerosene in the band saw for coolant ... But I did %99 aluminum. It just turns out that the cheapest alternative happened to be one of the best fluids for cutting aluminum

I use RV pink antifreez in the mill no rust non toxic easy cleanup just a squirt with water paper towel then a paper towel rub down with PB all ship shape.
$2.99 a gal It doesnt seem to evaporate either.

I added some to the water I was using in my old Keller #3, seems to have cut down on rust and evaporation. Can not see any ill effects on cutting.

A place I worked at several years ago had a induction heat unit that had a chiller to keep the coils cool. The same coolant was used as a quench media, kept at around 40 deg. F. It was a 50/50 mixture of green antifreeze and city water.

The only reason I would use it is that I have some that has been taking up space in the garage for years and I'd just as soon get rid of it.

The only reason I would use it is that I have some that has been taking up space in the garage for years and I'd just as soon get rid of it.

Not to spoil your fun, but most garages will take used anti-freeze and recycle it. I've disposed of mine this way, there should be no charge to you.

Walt

My main concern is safety. Animals and children may find the antifreeze irresistible if they have access to it. This stuff is a serious poison. If any of these small critters are ever in your shop, steer clear of it.

I can back up Hawkeye's concerns, as I am sure others can as well. It takes an amazingly small amount of automotive antifreeze to kill a 60 pound dog - a tablespoon will do it! We found out the hard way, accidentally, of course, over 20 years ago. Our black lab / elk hound mix died a horrible death due to accidental poisoning by antifreeze. I wouldn't use it anyplace a critter or a kid might get at it for even a moment or two when no one was looking.

RV antifreeze would be the better way to go, just don't thin it with water if you want it to also not freeze in your saw during the winter. My Keller Hy-Duty #5 stays in the garage year round, and it is not heated at all. Up to this point I have not put any coolant in the saw, and have just sprayed coolant on with a spray bottle when needed. But, I like the idea of a freeze proof coolant in the saw, and I may just try out the RV antifreeze. We see -20 degree temps for a few days at a time just about every winter, and RV antifreeze is designed to be used straight in order to provide protection at those temps. If diluted, it will get pretty slushy at those temps.

Another thing to consider with antifreeze (as well as many other products) is what are you doing to your self when you breath in the mist or "burnt" antifreeze? With a quick google search I turned up this little piece from Ehow.com:

[h=2]Effects of Breathing Antifreeze Fumes[/h]
  • While ingesting antifreeze can cause the most harmful effects to the body, it is still not safe to inhale fumes from the product. Antifreeze fumes can cause eye irritation and upper-respiratory irritation. Additionally, inhaled fumes, particularly if from a mist, can cause breathing difficulties, headaches, drowsiness, blurred vision, irregular eye movements, nausea and vomiting.
    Material Safety Data Sheets show that repeated inhalation of antifreeze fumes may affect the central nervous system. Coma may occur if the inhaled antifreeze fumes were in mist form.
    Additionally, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions may be more susceptible to the effects caused by inhaling antifreeze.

Might be worth looking in to a bit more.

-Ron

Back