Antique Motor

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yesterday, I took a vacation day to get ready for my son's wedding today. I dropped in to my favourite scrap yard to shop for some pieces for the press brake. Didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but did get a bucket of small drops from some machine shop.

Kelly, one of the yard owners, told me to hang around for a few minutes so he could show me something. It turned out to be an old electric motor. Not like anything I've worked with. About 7 1/2" in diameter, but only about 4" front to back. The label said 1/8 HP. notice the adjustment screw built into the base.
PA041016a.jpg

I was fumbling with my cell phone to take a picture so i could look it up later when they (Kelly and his partner) said, "No, we're giving it to you. We'd rather have it go to someone who could appreciate it than scrap it." When I got home, I Googled the company, Holtzer-Cabot Electric. They were known for high quality, fractional horsepower motors, some of which were used in coin-operated pianos. A web site for such pianos had a list of serial numbers. Mine worked out to mid-1906.
PA041018a.jpg

I oiled the felts and metered it out with the old Simpson. It looked shorted until I used the divide-by-ten scale, which showed some resistance. Worst case, I blow a breaker, so I hooked it up to a pushbutton switch and tried it out. After 107 years, the thing runs!

It's the electrical equivalent of being given a hit-and-miss engine. Pretty cool when you have guys you deal with looking out for you.

PA041016a.jpg PA041018a.jpg

Great score on the motor Mike, i really like those old motors I have one 1/2hp and a 3/4hp. I've never looked them up guess I should.

Paul

That is a cool old thing to own, even if you never use it , as an item of machinery it is an unusual type of design,& has a lot of charm Built in 1906, I bet the modern electric motors wont be around even in another forty years.

Also you have a local scrap firm with a heart, I am lucky for some occasional light alloy I have one who keeps me the occasional useful item, Virtually unknown nowadays

I really admire people who know who to appreciate, and show it.

Totally cool motor too!

Bernie

I'm thinking I'll make a hardwood base for it. No room in the shop, so it might hang out in the living room.

I'm thinking I'll make a hardwood base for it. No room in the shop, so it might hang out in the living room.

Are you married? and will she let you hang it there? If so your a lucky man!!

Paul

Seeburg.jpg
A similar motor in a 1908 Seeburg piano. These had to be short to fit into the space below the keyboard, with the vacuum pump and paper-roll drive.

Seeburg.jpg

Allan,

Very similar, but mine has the terminal block on top. Do you know the HP rating?

Back