Anvil build

@RJSakowski I remember reading a post (I think it was yours) about an unusual technique of re-facing the anvil.
It involved the use a tractor and roadway......
-brino

Last edited:
Thanks brino,
I hope they can get this problem with the server sorted soon. I miss not being able to search for my posts.
OK, let's track this gremlin down. I just tried it and ended up with two pages of posts by you with anvil in it.

Click on the 'Forum' tab above
Then on this sub menu:
1580278768058.png
Click on 'Search Forums'
Trying entering 'anvil' in the 'Keywords' field (not 'advil' or 'andvil' like I did....)
Then 'RJSakowski' in 'Posted By' field
(make sure that 'Search threads' has a gray bar under it.)
and hit 'Search'

I've attached a PDF of what came up here...

Attachments

• RJS_(3) Search results for query_ anvil _ The Hobby-Machinist.pdf
    213.2 KB · Views: 2
A heavy duty grader blade might be good enough to use for the face of this anvil. I do have a bunch of 1.5 inch x 6 inch wide, plenty long steel but have
no idea if it has much carbon in it. None of it is in hard condition, that much I know. In any case, I will be able to test out my new plasma
cutter soon....:grin:... on something....

Cool project. At 1.5" you might want to get out the OA torch. Mike

OK, let's track this gremlin down. I just tried it and ended up with two pages of posts by you with anvil in it.

Click on the 'Forum' tab above
Then on this sub menu:
View attachment 311860
Click on 'Search Forums'
Trying entering 'anvil' in the 'Keywords' field (not 'advil' or 'andvil' like I did....)
Then 'RJSakowski' in 'Posted By' field
(make sure that 'Search threads' has a gray bar under it.)
and hit 'Search'

I've attached a PDF of what came up here...
Thanks, I checked and it is working now. Brian, vtcnc, was working on a fix. Notice no content between July, 2018 and Jan. 2020.Here is what I was seeing earlier. Then later it came back with no content.
Electroniuc Lead Screw Search.JPG
Now it returns this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is finally fixed.
Electronic Lead Screw Search.JPG

Several pieces of H-13 steel have come my way. One piece is already hard and the other would need
to be heated and quenched. The hard piece would be my first inclination but is an odd shape requiring
to be cut to size. Also, I would have to make a Hardy hole with a carbide end mill before welding it on.
The unhardened piece is already to size so that part is appealing plus making a Hardy hole would be relatively easy.
If I weld on the unhardened piece, I will have to heat up the whole anvil and then quench it. So at this point,
I am unsure which way to go. Maybe someone on here has had experience along these lines.....

Today the hardened piece of H-13 was cut to size using a carbide end mill and a bit of patience. It rings like a bell.
I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Next will be to cut a Hardy hole in it with a carbide cutter. It's about an inch and a half
thick so It could get interesting, maybe working on it from both sides I suppose. It measures about 4 inches across and
about 10 inches long. This is all new territory for me so find it quite interesting. Tomorrow I will likely weld the hard top piece to
the existing bottom part using a bit of preheat and 180 amperes of DC arc welding with some 7018 rods.

It's pretty much in it's final shape now. Today I added the Hardy hole and the Pritchel hole to a chunk of H-13 that was not completely hard
so that went pretty well. The hard piece of H-13 was welded to the front of the anvil and the Hardy and Pritchel piece went on the back.
I'm hoping that with a little practice I can clean up some of the welding imperfections using the TIG welder and finally a coat of paint possibly.
It weighs a little over 100 pounds now. There's more to do as far as making several tools for the Hardy hole. One thing I am going to make
out of the remaining hard material is a cut off tool to fit the Hardy. After that, I will see if I can locate some coal and rig up some sort of
rudimentary forge so I can actually do a bit of metal shaping. P1020652.JPG
I need to find a large log piece about a foot tall for a base. I don't know what size hole a Pritchel hole is commonly employed
but I can still bore it out some more if needed. Presently it is at 1/2 inch and the Hardy is a loose fit 7/8 inch.

It is usable as is now since the part in front of the Hardy hole is already very hard, the back, not as hard...

Back