Any AR-15 "scratch" builders here?

Re: Any AR-15 "scratch" builders here?

Well thanks to "Santa" (Mrs. Highpwr) I now have a couple of new sear fixtures and have been able to put the final touches I wanted on the fire control group, and complete the assembly on my little project. I certainly learned a few more things about machining, maintaining tolerances, and planning ahead for every cut you make. And then double check the drawings again before you turn on the machine. If you find yourself anxious to get things done - STOP - and walk away. Don't push yourself and start making mistakes you'll regret later.

I wanted a challenge, and I wasn't afraid to end up with a piece of scrap. In fact I expected it. Stepping out of my comfort zone by trying something new to me was a bit scary. But the confidence gained by learning that you can mess up, correct it, and still survive is priceless! :eek:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

My hope is that my little .22LR trainer here will help in educating a number of junior shooters in the safe handling of firearms, and rifle marksmanship. (Much easier on my ammo budget...) :biggrin:

th_PC240113.jpg th_LR-15_left.jpg

th_PC240113.jpg

th_PC240113.jpg

th_LR-15_left.jpg

th_LR-15_left.jpg

Nice job on the AR-15. The .22 caliber choice will definitely save some cash, the cheapest I've found 5.56 is around 30 cents a round compared to .22 caliber at 1/3 cent a round.

Santa was good to me as well. My boys gave me a CAR hand guard with all of the associated hardware, a charging handle and a few other upper odds and ends. Guess I'll need to get busy on the receiver!

My wife, the real Santa, gave me and the boys each a Mossin Nagant rifle and a spam can of ammo to feed it. Sounds like some serious plinking in the spring. :)

Tom

Thanks Tom. M-N's all around huh? That will be some serious plinking! Gotta love the fireball breathing Mosins. You fellers will certainly be grabbing some attention. :biggrin:

I suggest you start exercising those finger muscles now, so they will be ready to work those safeties by springtime. ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hay Play-Doh :cool: Nice looking piece!! very nice series on AR-15s some day me to but for now I'll have to be happy with the old .06 :thumbzup:

Jerry.:tiphat:

Jerry,

What flavor of .06 do you have? I just ordered a spam can of surplus .06 from the CMP to feed my Garand.

Tom

Hay Jerry! ;)

Nuttin wrong with the venerable '06 at all. Especially if you hand load. They will do it all from mild to wild. :)
I've got 9 or 10 of 'em me-self. I've added a couple more Garands since this pic was taken. :whistle:

th_Left.jpg

Tom, how long have you had your M1?

th_Left.jpg

th_Left.jpg

Jerry,

No I don't make my own. I use Turner Saddlery slings. They are considered some of the best slings available among a lot of competitive shooters. They are probably overkill (no pun intended) for most hunting rifles though.

But if you think you could use a military type leather sling fashioned after a M1907 sling, I could probably hook you up with one that is a little more light weight. Shoot me an email or a PM if you think you might be interested. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom, how long have you had your M1?

The Garand was a CMP purchase three years ago. It's basically a 1943 vintage with an armory fitted newer barrel. Not very original though.

http://ImageEvent.com/tomgriffin/randomstuff/m1

Here's a video of one of my boys experiencing it for the first time:

http://www.facebook.com/v/1053748480045

I also have an Underwood M1 carbine of the same vintage that is all original and a mint 1943 1911A1 that has hardly been fired. It would have been perfect had my Father in Law not tried to etch his drivers license number on the slide. :( He was a B-24 navigator/bombardier and brought the .45 back to the states after the war.

Now I could get my hands on a Thomson or a BAR...;)

By the way, I see what you mean by the safeties on the Mossin Nagant. They are definitely all function and take some serious hand and arm strength to operate!
Tom

I'm not bothered by a weapon that isn't 100% "original". I like shooters, not wall hangers or safe queens. ;)
Judging from the smile on your boys face - I would be willing to bet he agrees with me. :biggrin: :lmao:

You've got some real history there. I'm glad to see they have all gone to a good home.
I know a couple of guys that have Thompsons and BARs and such. After getting my hands on the Thompson I discovered it's a good thing that I don't own one. Semi-trailer loads of .45 ACP don't come cheap.... :whistle:

How are you fixed for en-block clips? Does CMP still have ammo on clips, or is it down to boxed / loose rounds now?

Willie

Yup, the boys (like their old man) enjoy their guns.

The CMP ran put of the clipped ammo last year, now they just sell 200 loose round spam cans for $98. I bought a couple of cans when the clips were being offered so I'm pretty well set on the en-blocks. Their supply of Garands is starting to wain as well and their carbines ran out last year. I still may pick up another Garand to restore before they run out. I grabbed a new 50's vintage mil spec barrel a while back and am looking for something to hang it on.

Tom

I still may pick up another Garand to restore before they run out. I grabbed a new 50's vintage mil spec barrel a while back and am looking for something to hang it on.

Tom

Copy that. It is a slippery slope though - keeping extra parts on hand. Several years ago a bought a couple of new Wilson short chambered barrels (in the white) that were on sale at a ridiculously low price. Could not pass up the deal. Any money "saved" had soon disappeared when I started fishing for the remaining "missing" parts. :thinking: Still have one left. :nuts:

Much like buying cutting bits and measuring instruments etc., for machines you don't have. It only leads to more trouble..... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Back