any difference -wood or metal???

Or maybe I will just break down and get a plasma cutter. Problem solved!
:dancing banana:

Glenn

Dammit! I'd just about decided to convert the 14 in. Craftsman that's been taking up space in my garage. Now what do I do with it?

Old thread but so glad that I came across it.

A friend gave me a used (but in as-new condition) Jet JWBS-14CS woodworking bandsaw... and I was looking into what it would take to make it able to cut metal.

JWBS-14CS.jpg

Being new to all this, first thing I did was to do a google search and also come here to check on what others have done.

Now not so sure I should modify it...

I do plan on buying a plasma cutter as well... this is more to have a metal cutting bandsaw as well and thinking I could use this one with minor modifications. Looks like it might not be cost effective to modify it for metal cutting.

So leave it just for woodworking (I do not do much off that) and just spend 200.00 on a Harbor Freight metal cutting bandsaw?

HF Metal Cutting Bandsaw.jpg

Again, I just do pure hobby work, nothing major...

Thank you in advanced for your comments.

Sell the Jet and get the HF. While limited in the vertical mode, it is generally much more useful than a dedicated vertical bandsaw.

Do not sell the Jet (it was a gift) and do not modify it. Buy a quality combination vertical/horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw, preferably with gear-head drive.

Sell the Jet and get the HF. While limited in the vertical mode, it is generally much more useful than a dedicated vertical bandsaw.

Not selling the Jet... as mentioned, it was a gift from a good friend. Will keep it and not modify it. Thank you for the suggestions.

Do not sell the Jet (it was a gift) and do not modify it. Buy a quality combination vertical/horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw, preferably with gear-head drive.

I do not need an expensive bandsaw...all those gear head drive units look like they are expensive. I just do not use it enough to justify the expense. I was initially looking at the Grizzly G0622 just because I also have a milling machine from them (cool to have all tools match :) ). But not sure having matching looking tools is worth the extra $$ for the Grizzly...

Grizzly G0622 Bandsaw.jpg

Hummm... I was about to submit the reply when I came across the Jet HVBS-56V 5" X 6" VS Horizontal/Vertical Variable Speed Bandsaw 1/2 Horse Power... it is 649.00 (three times what the HF costs)... but maybe a better option than the HF and Grizzly?

414548_alt4.jpg

Forgot to add the link: https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/hv...ical-variable-speed-bandsaw-1-2hp-1-ph/414548

This is gear head, correct? It will be 650 vs 210 (HF unit)...but maybe a case where it is worth spending a little bit more... I was afraid a hear head unit was going to be in the thousand range...

Last edited:
...came across the Jet HVBS-56V 5" X 6" VS Horizontal/Vertical Variable Speed Bandsaw 1/2 Horse Power... it is 649.00 (three times what the HF costs)... but maybe a better option than the HF and Grizzly?

Certainly better than the HF; likely about the same as the Grizzly. Why not find a used one in excellent condition?

Certainly better than the HF; likely about the same as the Grizzly. Why not find a used one in excellent condition?

Thank you. Looking at them, both the Grizzly and the HF look to be the same units with very little differences. The Jet seems to be the better option. I would like to buy new for now, just not something too expensive since I want a few other tools as well.

We are getting a new house (smaller than what we have now) but with the plan to finally build a small workshop for my projects... so really looking forward to getting a few new tools that I have always wanted but did not have the space for them.

I want a bandsaw, a metal lathe (something like a 10"x22"), plasma cutter (unsure if I go with a inexpensive CNC plasma table as well)... even if I am several years away from retirement, I am looking forward to my man cave with tools to keep me busy building stuff... don't ask me what stuff, I don't know, I just want to learn how to use all these tools and just lose myself in there...

So that you have an idea of the madness... several years back I was working on my motorcycle, swapping wheels that folks told me would not fit, well, I got them to fit... in the process I needed to modify a caliper to align it with the rotor. Rather than taking the caliper to a local machine shop, I saw it as the perfect excuse to get a milling machine (the one you see in my signature, which now I wish I had gone with the PM with DRO, but I digress)...

Now I am looking a making some brackets for some lights in my truck and rather than cutting them with a jigsaw, I am looking at a plasma cutter and that got me looking at CNC plasma tables... to make two frigging brackets for a light... it was that search that got me looking at bandsaw as well... seeing the Jet in the garage got me thinking about converting it to a metal cutting bandsaw, and here we are. I tell you, there is no logic to my madness... :D

Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

At the risk of offending(sorry) it has been pointed out the only difference between Jet, Grizzly and HF is the paint job. I am the consummate cheapskate and junkyard dog so I care little for fancy paint. Especially if it's going to cost 3x's more not work any better and make me hesitate at modding it. All three in the case of the horizontal saw and vert. are all cast iron copies of well known designs. It truly depends on how much $$ you want to spend and what you want to do with it. And I see the only difference between the HF and the Jet horiz is the fancy gearbox. In the 40yrs I've had my HF horiz I've never needed to change the speed. Guess that's why my blades last forever.

My old modded(to cut steel) HF vertical saw has turned into my most used machine tool mostly because I do small metal projects. And with the air powered sled I made for it it can do stuff that's a PIA on the horizontal because it's too short or small. Now like with the horizontal I can set the vert to cutting 4x4 cube of aluminum or steel turn on the air feed and go do something else. I get a bigger thrill outta taking some cheap gem in the rough off the local CL and mod it into a machine worth X's times worth to do exactly what I need. That's why I bought a mill and a lathe ( both cheap off CL ) to be able to do just that. To each his own and viva la difference! YMMV!

It seems to me that the small horizontal band saws are all pretty much alike, so go by price. However, if you actually have to cut metal frequently, I've been impressed at how well the similar saws work that have a recirculating coolant pump. They are more costly, but not absurdly so.

At the risk of offending(sorry) it has been pointed out the only difference between Jet, Grizzly and HF is the paint job. I am the consummate cheapskate and junkyard dog so I care little for fancy paint. Especially if it's going to cost 3x's more not work any better and make me hesitate at modding it. All three in the case of the horizontal saw and vert. are all cast iron copies of well known designs. It truly depends on how much $$ you want to spend and what you want to do with it. And I see the only difference between the HF and the Jet horiz is the fancy gearbox. In the 40yrs I've had my HF horiz I've never needed to change the speed. Guess that's why my blades last forever.

My old modded(to cut steel) HF vertical saw has turned into my most used machine tool mostly because I do small metal projects. And with the air powered sled I made for it it can do stuff that's a PIA on the horizontal because it's too short or small. Now like with the horizontal I can set the vert to cutting 4x4 cube of aluminum or steel turn on the air feed and go do something else. I get a bigger thrill outta taking some cheap gem in the rough off the local CL and mod it into a machine worth X's times worth to do exactly what I need. That's why I bought a mill and a lathe ( both cheap off CL ) to be able to do just that. To each his own and viva la difference! YMMV!

All great feedback. No sense on spending the extra $$ then on the Jet. I mentioned the Jet because of the previous recommendation of going with a gear head. Back to getting the HF bandsaw then!!

It seems to me that the small horizontal band saws are all pretty much alike, so go by price. However, if you actually have to cut metal frequently, I've been impressed at how well the similar saws work that have a recirculating coolant pump. They are more costly, but not absurdly so.

I was planning on adding something. My uncle used to hold a brush with cutting oil while he used his... this was many, many moons ago, he is no longer with us (I learned to weld with him..) So I was thinking of using something similar but with a pump and one of those flexible nozzles...

Back