Any easier hacks for a splined sprocket?

ericc

Active User
Registered
A friend of mine asked me to mount two sprockets on a jackshaft. The first one is easy. It has a large hole and a bolt pattern for a hub. The second one is more difficult. It seems to be from some Chinese motorcycle and is 18x20 mm. This does not match standard metric six splined shafts, since these are either 16x20 or 18x22. Furthermore, they are too expensive for him. I am just doing this as a favor, so I don't want to make things so involved. He wants to do a proof of concept of a machine design, and is not worried if it only lasts 100 hours. On the other hand, he doesn't want the sprocket welded on.

I was thinking of some simple hacks like a flange with a cross bar that would fit in two of the spline slots and be able to take some but not all of the torque. I suggested that he just buy some standard keyed sprockets and he is somewhat agreeable, but really would like to keep his cost down. Does anybody have any make-do suggestions?

He just sent me an e-mail. He's willing to drop the spline requirement, since this is going to be a proof of concept for a machine for third world countries. The torque requirement is on the order of 100 ft lbs. He supplied sprockets and roller chain. I think that I should be able to convince him to use a standard keyed shaft, especially if he can return the parts.

Cutting internal splines is typically done with a shaper and dividing head or similar. Not exactly a simple/cheap/quick operation.
I like the welding idea if you have premade sockets available. Put in some registering geometry on your lathe for alignment before welding.

Back