Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Rata222

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Has anyone heard of items needed, that can be made in the hobby machine shop. I looked on the internet. Some suggested a need for 3D printed ventilator parts. My girlfriend is sewing masks.

I tried calling the county health department – but being retired :) - I forgot it was Saturday

I am not always the most ambitious guy....but, I have all these machines - seems like commodity that could be put to good use - to help those helping us.

Thanks – and stay healthy.

Jim

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
During these times I really think the best use of our machines is to keep us occupied while we are in self quarietene. We can't crank up and handle the volume of production needed to make a meaningful difference. If the situation degrades to the point that repair parts and replacements for medical equipment need to be handled at the home shop level, then we have some real problems.

I really think the way we can best help out at this time is to volunteer to do whatever the local community organizations could use some help with. And just as important is to not get sick so you don't use resources that are needed for the less fortunate.

Rata222

During these times I really think the best use of our machines is to keep us occupied while we are in self quarietene. We can't crank up and handle the volume of production needed to make a meaningful difference. If the situation degrades to the point that repair parts and replacements for medical equipment need to be handled at the home shop level, then we have some real problems.
I dont feel that way at all. Any difference is a meaningful difference - if there is a need. We do have "some real problems."
The hospitals are asking for donation of home sewn masks made to their specs. My girlfriend and a group of friends have been very busy producing masks. My small contribution was being able to sharpen scissors in the shop for a few of them.

I really think the way we can best help out at this time is to volunteer to do whatever the local community organizations could use some help with. And just as important is to not get sick so you don't use resources that are needed for the less fortunate.
I agree to all that. We also have unique machines and skills to offer -and perhaps could contribute in ways others cant.

Stay Healthy
Jim

Last edited:

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
One more thought here.
While I have had more shop time during this crisis, one thing that I do want to avoid is a trip to the emergency room. In the past 20 years I've been there twice once for a couple of stitches and once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!

eugene13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Off topic, but... If healthy persons wore a properly respirator with HEPA filters would that offer any protection from covid19?

Lo-Fi

Off topic, but... If healthy persons wore a properly respirator with HEPA filters would that offer any protection from covid19?
Not really. Unless it's fitted properly and you sterilise the it every time you remove and refit it. Also offers no protection from touching your eyes, and most have an exhalation valve which bypasses the filters and offers no protecting for anybody else. Defining healthy is difficult as a great many people carry it but display no symptoms.
I've seen lots of people walking around in poorly fitting surgical masks too, which do more harm than good when they're fiddling with their faces constantly because it doesn't fit. As with many things in life: a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Chipper5783

Active User
As Jim pointed out, realistically you can't make a difference to the function of a large hospital as they gear up to save lives of people suffering severe effects of the Covid virus. However, you absolutely can make a difference to your community - which will be suffering in countless ways. Your example of sharpening the scissors is an excellent example. Fix your neighbor's rototiller (probably lots more gardening happening this year), make and fix stuff for farmers in your area (they always need stuff fixed) - anything you do to help your local community will get the whole community back on track sooner. Do it for free and you'll get lots of business.

Repairing old junk may not be as cool as making ventilators to save people's lives - leave the health stuff to the hospitals (they have almost unlimited resources - except for time). If you get together (on-line) with other handy people in your area I'll bet you could set up to repair small tools, machines, appliances, equipment etc. If a hospital needs something manufactured, they will go to a professional shop. However, a professional shop is not going to spend a day repairing a machine that only costs a few hundred bucks new. Me, on the otherhand, I don't hesitate to spend many hours to avoid spending those few hundred bucks.

Help your local community for free - in all likelihood it will bring you benefits for years to come.

Aaron_W

I'd look at some of your local businesses that are staying open as see what they might need for their employees that you could make in the shop.

One possible example locally is the grocery stores have installed plexiglass sneeze guards at the check out lines to give the clerks a small amount of added protection. Rather than complex items that require certifications, think small. If you had to work with the public what might help you limit contact? Handling money and credit cards is a big exposure for them.

Aaron_W

One more thought here.
While I have had more shop time during this crisis, one thing that I do want to avoid is a trip to the emergency room. In the past 20 years I've been there twice once for a couple of stitches and once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!

Yes, anything you can do to not create additional work is a plus.

I'll be kind of curious to see when this is all done if the stay at home orders has an effect in other death numbers. I could definitely see a decrease in motor vehicle deaths, but also an increase in drug and alcohol related as well as suicides with people bored at home, and potentially out of work.

We are lucky to have hobbies to keep us occupied, many don't. I know a few retired people who went back to work, not for the money but simply because they didn't know what to do except go to work.

I also expect a significant rise in toilet paper related accidents. :grin:

RJSakowski

Becoming infected by COVID-19 is a matter of probabilities. There is a number of things that all have to come together in order for one to be infected. The number of contagious people in your are, your proximity to them, the length of time that one is exposed, and the degree of PPE that one has all have a contributory effect. To that end, properly wearing an N95 respirator mask will potentially reduce the exposure and decrease the overall probability of contracting the virus.

It will not protect completely. The N95 designation means that it removes 95% of the contaminants. Also, as Lo Fi stated, it doesn't protect the eyes from the virus and it may increase the possibility of transferring the virus to ones hands and then potentially to one's respiratory system.

The biggest reason for John Q. Public not wearing N95 respirators is that there is an extreme shortage of masks and medical personnel and othe first responders will make far better use of the supplies at hand. Should supply ever catch up to demand, then by all means, wear a mask if you want.

Rata222

Good ideas -all. Thanks for the response.
Jim

francist

Active User
Hmm, a local brewery here in my city has just started producing face shields for health workers. Essentially the headband frame thing that the clear lens clips into. I guess they have a 3D printer (Prusa) for whatever reason and have built a template which they’re sharing for anyone interested in mobilizing their printers to do the same. Here’s the link if anyone is interested, it was posted on our local news station this morning. The same brewery is also making sanitizer of course, using their 1923 copper still known as “Old George”.

-frank

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
For the statement of has the quarantine helped in other related deaths. Here in Chicago they said crime rate has dropped 30%. Last I had read was 4 killed 6 shot over this weekend which is down from a average of 10-20 killed on any given weekend. Sadly more are killed by gunshots here in a month than the death count for the virus to date in our city. Keep safe out there.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I know a lot are sewing masks, but a glue gun is a lot easier and used all the time in the costume business. Almost every Mardi Gras costume you see on the floats.....the riders in the parades....is totally hot glued. They hold up good. For a disposable mask....go with a hot glue gun.

Rata222

Hmm, a local brewery here in my city has just started producing face shields for health workers. Essentially the headband frame thing that the clear lens clips into. I guess they have a 3D printer (Prusa) for whatever reason and have built a template which they’re sharing for anyone interested in mobilizing their printers to do the same. Here’s the link if anyone is interested, it was posted on our local news station this morning.
Thank you Frank, that's precisely the type of information I was seeking . Unfortunately a 3D printer is one item I don't have in my little shop.
I appreciate everyone's responses.
Thanks , Jim

deakin

Registered
Registered
once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!
i don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times i got metal in my eyes. in my case it was always a glorified scribe or a drill bit. drill bit is for when you wait too long

silence dogood

Active User
I just posted on the "About coronavirus" thread. We can make things and fix things. Little things will come up that we can do. I gave the example of fixing your garden neighbors rototiller. Stay well.

matthewsx

FYI:

If you go out wear a bandana around your nose and mouth to limit what you might exhale onto surfaces or others. Pretty sure we all have some of those in our drawers and it should make a difference if everyone does it. At least it can't hurt, and won't limit the supply for those who really need them.

John

nnam

Registered
Registered
I know there are great ideas above.
Some mentioned that staying at home itself is a help. I found some people also help by keeping people happy and not "running" around.
For example, this lady sings to her neighbors.
I would suggest some of you, who can show your machinist skills, either by demo, or by showing some of the things you made to neighbors, who stand far apart. Maybe that would help also. It would be nice to have food and drinks, but that put alot more effort/cost and not mentioning problem with the virus.

On making something to contribute, I was thinking if there is something that can be done with a lathe, that helps fabricating medical devices faster, that would help.

For example, a retractable device, that we can use to open doors. So we don't use our hands to open doors. Once used, it retracts back and we don't touch it. If you can turn it into a mechanical hand, that would be great. I know some of you are genius :)

Ok, one more addition to the device, when retract, it would go through a pad that got filled will hand sanitizer. So it's auto sterilized.
Would be nice to have auto open/close cap at the end, that doesn't touch the "fingers" part.

Wow, normally, this would be a billion dollar idea! Please don't patent this! It's my idea :)

I think it would go over fingers, like partial gloves. You can control it almost like a scissors.

Please share plans and showing videos doing so we can copy.

If we can produce millions of these, and force everyone to wear cloth masks, then no more disease!
Because masks don't protect you, but it protects everyone else from your possible disease.

With the auto sterialized hand, that solves the rest of the touchy issue.

Update: I read it again and it's overthinking. Pair of rubber gloves and a squeezable tube of hand sanitizer hanging on your neck would work.

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
One thing that comes to mind would be a personal stylus that could be used to operate the card readers at nearly every checkout counter everywhere. I don't want to touch the reader keys or the attached stylus. It needs to be plastic with a rounded point. UHMW, Delrin?

Aaron_W

FYI:

If you go out wear a bandana around your nose and mouth to limit what you might exhale onto surfaces or others. Pretty sure we all have some of those in our drawers and it should make a difference if everyone does it. At least it can't hurt, and won't limit the supply for those who really need them.

John
Not a great idea, dust masks, bandanas and such offer very little benefit but what they do, do is create a nice warm humid environment very friendly to bacteria and viruses right in front of your mouth and nose. They are also uncomfortable increasing the impulse to wipe your face.

If you have something to spread stay home, if you don't have anything then what are you containing?

Be very aware of your hands, don't touch things that are suspect, don't touch your face and wash frequently. If you cough or sneeze be polite and follow what preschoolers are taught and cover your face with your elbow (not hands) or a hankerchief. You would be amazed at the things your hands do when you aren't paying attention to them.

Don't go out without a purpose.

matthewsx

Not a great idea, dust masks, bandanas and such offer very little benefit but what they do, do is create a nice warm humid environment very friendly to bacteria and viruses right in front of your mouth and nose. They are also uncomfortable increasing the impulse to wipe your face.

If you have something to spread stay home, if you don't have anything then what are you containing?

Be very aware of your hands, don't touch things that are suspect, don't touch your face and wash frequently. If you cough or sneeze be polite and follow what preschoolers are taught and cover your face with your elbow (not hands) or a hankerchief. You would be amazed at the things your hands do when you aren't paying attention to them.

Don't go out without a purpose.
Okay, I'm not going to argue with you about this because that's not what this place is about for me. I'm choosing to do this because my wife asked me to. She read a credible article from a UCSF doctor who advocated it as a means to cut down on the spread of this virus.

There are a couple of facts to which I believe are relevant which I will state and you can all read them until this thread is shut down like the first one I posted "corona virus impact".

1. It's known that people without symptoms can have and transmit this disease, so just because you don't have symptoms doesn't mean you aren't a vector.

2. People in many Asian countries have been wearing face masks for a very long time. This is not about keeping themselves healthy but rather to keep from spreading disease to others.

China and South Korea seem to be getting a handle on this while our infection rate is skyrocketing, we may not be able to take some of the governmental measures they have but we can certainly take the personal ones.

Those are both facts, not opinion meant to argue with you.

Yes, staying home even if you feel well is important. Wash your hands and be cautious about anything you bring into your home that could potentially spread this virus.

Stay safe, stay well, and stay happy.

Cheers,

John

Aaron_W

Okay, I'm not going to argue with you about this because that's not what this place is about for me. I'm choosing to do this because my wife asked me to. She read a credible article from a UCSF doctor who advocated it as a means to cut down on the spread of this virus.

That goes against what I was taught when I was working EMS, but I asked my wife who is currently working in a hospital what they are doing and this follows what they are doing. They wear the N95 masks where they specifically suspect an infectious agent and are being told to wear regular masks during other contact in case they are sick themselves. She said for cases where they could get direct exposure (like taking mouth swabs for Covid tests) they are actually wearing PAPR (powered respirators).

It is as you say meant to stop spread from a potentially infected person, not protect you from getting it. When I was working we (the health care worker) were assumed not to be sick, but these are different times.

So long as people understand that this won't prevent them from being exposed. I witness a lot of magical thinking about cheap masks whether it is illness or smoke from wildfires and it sets me off.

I think we can all agree don't stick magnets up your nose. :grin:

'Virus-fighting' scientist gets magnets stuck in nose

matthewsx

Please thank your wife from all of us for being on the front lines of this fight:applause 2:

As you said, these are unusual times, a week ago I wouldn't be wearing a mask or bandana since I have no symptoms and long ago learned about the Asian custom of wearing masks when you are sick.

At this point I'm just trying to keep myself and my 89-year-old mother well and limiting my exposure as much as possible. I started wearing gloves whenever I was out shopping almost two weeks ago and have washed my hands upon getting home for the past 20 years.

I believe that if nothing else wearing the bandana shows others that you care about their health and might encourage them to be more careful in their daily activities....

It looks like the guy in Australia wasn't totally crazy, just careless with some rare earth magnets;)

I do like Jim's idea of a personal stylus though, will have to make one once I get the lathe up and running.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy,

John

Aaron_W

Please thank your wife from all of us for being on the front lines of this fight:applause 2:

As you said, these are unusual times, a week ago I wouldn't be wearing a mask or bandana since I have no symptoms and long ago learned about the Asian custom of wearing masks when you are sick.

At this point I'm just trying to keep myself and my 89-year-old mother well and limiting my exposure as much as possible. I started wearing gloves whenever I was out shopping almost two weeks ago and have washed my hands upon getting home for the past 20 years.

I believe that if nothing else wearing the bandana shows others that you care about their health and might encourage them to be more careful in their daily activities....

It looks like the guy in Australia wasn't totally crazy, just careless with some rare earth magnets;)

I do like Jim's idea of a personal stylus though, will have to make one once I get the lathe up and running.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy,

John
His heart was in the right place and the idea of a necklace to help remind you to keep your hands away from your face isn't a dumb idea. This actually fits right in with the intent of this thread. In this case I suspect what started as a serious project turned into goofing off with magnets, and being a physicist he probably has access to some small but very powerful magnets.

It is nice to see people trying to be helpful. Several of the local breweries and distillers are converting their beer and spirits making into producing hand sanitizer and alcohol for disinfectant.

Who knows, maybe with lots of bored, creative people sitting around some great new inventions will be discovered.

I will pass your thanks onto my wife.

DAT510

For those looking for a challenge, Medtronic has released the Design Files for one of their Ventilators.

NICOLAS LIN

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
For everyone's suggestion. Taiwan has been an island where people wearing the Mask all the time, nothing to be shame for wearing mask in regular time.
Allergic to dirty air and moisture, so wearing a mask. my daughter did.
Riding scooter needs a mask, my daughter did.
girls not doing make up and go out, wearing a mask is a good cover, my daughter did.
And of course you need that when you catch cold, we all did.
Tradition can be ignored when a dead and live thing coming up.
So, we make our choice to face the truth. Be value the life of ourselves and others. Fighting !!!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock