Any ideas on shop wall covering

TakeDeadAim

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I built my shop several years ago, a "pole building" 32x55 that is split into a garage section and my shop area. When it was built I had the contractor insulate the walls and ceiling heavily and install white steel siding in the shop area walls and ceiling. I was contemplating having an office/clean area in which I could have some bench space for clean work and an area for my computer.

I had some health issues at the time the building was completed and struggled just to get the electric in and machines up and running so I did not put up the walls for the office/clean area. I have become fully disabled and find myself doing only smaller projects and have started doing hand metal engraving. To have a design area and keep my microscope and engraving tools clean I am really wanting that cleaner area. This would also allow me to keep that area a bit warmer without running the gas bill up as high as keeping the whole shop at a temp comfortable for more sedentary work.

I have a friend who is willing to build the divider walls for me if I will man the cut-off saw and have all the material here for him. It will just be two walls with one door but I want to insulate and put a covering on both sides of the wall. I looked at prices for decent (sanded) plywood but it's pretty expensive. I am looking for some lower-priced alternatives but would like something on the office side that looks nice. On the shop side Id like to be able to screw things right to the wall and maybe put up a french cleat system for tool storage. I would appreciate anyone sharing ideas, things that worked and didn't work in their shop.

I agree OSB cheap works well as long it doesn't get wet. You could also use non vented aluminum soffit. I used soffit for the ceiling of my outdoor room. Zero maintenance..

If it gets wet where on the inside I have bigger problems. Ive not used it but I assume it would take primer and paint OK

I used 7/32 birch underlayment. Looks nice after a coat of poly, costs fifteen bucks a 4x8 sheet, and you can hang lightweight stuff on it no problem.

... an office/clean area in which I could have some bench space for clean work and an area for my computer.
...a design area and keep my microscope and engraving tools clean.

two walls with one door but I want to insulate and put a covering on both sides of the wall. I looked at prices for decent (sanded) plywood but it's pretty expensive.

Sill plate on the bottom, 2x4 studs (93-inch) on 16" centers, and
sheetrock 4' x 8', will be up to fire-code. Staple-in insulation batts will add to
that, and a prehung door; no one mass-produces an inexpensive
'insulated' door, but a simple exterior door will block the breezes.

To support french-cleat hangers, notch the studs at appropriate heights
by 3/4", and inset 1x6 boards (screwed and liquid-nails glued).
That gives you a good target for nails or screws (for extra credit,
consider a notched 2x6 board). The cleats, then, would be
screwed down THROUGH the sheetrock, into solid wood.

Don't cut those notches until the wall is squared, the inset board
won't let you straighten a parallelogram wall to a rectangle.

The only hard part is the ceiling, if the current shop doesn't match that 'standard'
eight-foot height. Ceiling can hang from those wooden I-beam composite
members (lumber yard can suggest options for your span), and they
only need to go on 24" centers; don't forget 'cribbing', before
applying a rake-in or batt insulation and capping with (?) thin OSB.
I'd consider both rock-wool and cellulose insulation options there.

For best-build practice, you'd want to put in wall sockets at not-too-low
height, especially near that computer station, too. The alternative
is surface-mounted boxes, and EMT metal tubing, if you are comfortable
handling a hacksaw and hickey. Your insurer would appreciate
an inspection by an electrician, one would suppose. Maybe
a building permit, too.

Frame, wire, insulate, face with sheetrock (there's tricks for cutting
apertures for the electric sockets and light switches), lift/place/fix
the ceiling structure, install the prehung door, and ceiling light fixtures,
insulate the ceiling, then trim and paint all around. Sounds like a
week's work, or month of weekends. A skilled work crew could
do most of it in a day.

I/2" wall board (sheet rock) taped joints and painted white. Cheap, quick and easy peasy. OSB soaks up paint like a sponge and takes multiple coats to look "painted". The semi textured surface also holds dirt and dust. Not so good for a clean room. ..................Bob

Thanks for the help guys, I found a local yard that has some of the 7/32" sanded plywood on sale and I will use that inside the office area and go with the OSB on the outside of the walls, I do believe I will paint it to help maintain the clean look I have with the white steel siding on the other walls and ceiling. I'll be framing 16" on center so there should be plenty of support for the cleat system. All the wiring is in conduit and I will continue that. I don't like running wire through the walls in basements and shops. As an example, It will be easy for me to move one outlet box to allow me to make the clean area 10' and one of the two-way switches that control the shop lights too outside the door going from the new area into the shop. Had I done that wiring inside the walls that would have been a much larger project.

I/2" wall board (sheet rock) taped joints and painted white. Cheap, quick and easy peasy. OSB soaks up paint like a sponge and takes multiple coats to look "painted". The semi textured surface also holds dirt and dust. Not so good for a clean room. ..................Bob

I agree with you there Bob. The OSB will be on the shop side of the walls and not in the clean area; I will use "1/4 sanded plywood there and apply some semi-gloss poly., I've got a bunch of Zinser primer and a 5gal bucket of semi-gloss white from the days of owning rental property, that should give it a decent look. I absolutely hate doing sheetrock. With multiple back surgeries in my past dealing with that heavy stuff then all that sanding and taping. I can set up the paint sprayer and have that wall done in a day.

Back