Any IT Pros?

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Throwing a Hail Mary here. I'm hoping there is an IT person who might give me some insight.

Since the Vid hit we have been working remotely which is now permanent. I vpn into the company server on my desktop which works fine. I recently purchased a new laptop for traveling and have been trying to setup the vpn. I can get the vpn to connect to the server but I cannot access any files. The few times a login screen actually came up it would not accept my password.

Our IT person is the owners son. A bit of a flake but does an okay job most of the time. He is stumped on why I cannot access files on the server. We reset the server login password a couple of times but still no go. While he is researching the issue I compared the network settings between the desktop and laptop and can find only one difference. Under the Network and Sharing Center the vpn network on the desktop is shown as public where on the laptop it is shown as private. I have no idea if this makes a difference or not but think it is worth a try.

I would like to change the vpn network connection on the laptop to Public but cannot find a way. The only setting I can find to change is the Ethernet connection.

Laptop is a Surface Pro 7 running Win 10 Pro 64. Same OS is on the desktop.

vpn is SonicWall Global Client

Networks.PNG

Easy with Powershell (you'll find in the start menu)

It's possible that's not the actual issue, but see how you get on.

Thank you tonydi and Lo-Fi. I was able to change the network type however that was not the issue.

After many hours of researching last night I found a hint on what it might be. Turned out to the the generic USB network adapter driver was causing the issue. It was also affecting the WIFI connection. Not sure exactly why. Deleting the driver and rebooting allowed the login authentication to succeed over WIFI. I have a dock for the Surface Pro but it is stupidly bulky so I had never used it. I hooked that up that and it also works over the ethernet connection so all good now. :encourage:

Back