Any Mini Bikers In Here

Good thread, a fun read and a trip down memory lane!

Started out building a go-cart... old side shaft Briggs 'edger' engine...
Next was putting that engine on a bicycle (found a 16" pulley and managed to attach it to the rear wheel)...
Tried to use that bicycle for a paper route... no go...
So found a single speed Cushman... centrifical clutch... that turned out to be marginal for the paper route...
So I found a Cushman 'Eagle'... larger motor, 2 speed tranny, actually had brakes on both wheels...
This worked out for the paper route.

However, being young and ambitious...
Had to have a 'real' motorcycle...
Started with a Honda '50'...
Then moved up through, probably, half a dozen bikes...
Ended up with a Triumph Bonneville when I was college age.

Along the way, was riding a 125cc bike and was hit broadside... broken lower leg (both bones)... right leg is 1/4" short.

Bikes are lots of fun, however if one lives in a large city... they are more dangerous due to the other folks who just do not pay attention to where they are going.
When I figured that out (it is usually the other person that gets a biker hurt)... kinda lost interest and went to 4 wheeling (jeeps)...
Which is another thread.

Now if I retire in the country someday...
Well may get another bike...
Probably a Harley or Indian style... a basket project and restore it...
But that is pretty far down the list...
Given building and flying gyrocopters is the current hobby.

I am still contemplating swapping out the engine on my quad and using a b$s engine...I won't be climbing straight up hills like i did 25 years ago..just want something to putt around...
I could sell it but I would be giving it away

funny this showed up on my facebook tonight after reading your comment

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 8.59.54 PM.png

Just about a year ago. I had an autistic young man who lives small engines or loves them. He started coming around then he started staying with me for several hours a day three days a week. Well mannered and SUPER high function he would fool around with every mower trying to get it to run. So I taught him as much as I could , we rebuilt a Tecumseh snowblower motor , New piston , rod, polished the crank bored the cylinder , cut and lapped the valves. He had an old frame for a mini bike. So we repaired the frame welded it up , sanded the metal , primed and painted. Then we mounted the motor , New clutch and chain. Then we added fenders and chain guard which we made from an old snowblower , last part was a riding MOWER seat . He was a happy kid I tell ya ,he couldn't wait to show his mom and dad . He's not been around much but he has a place here if he needs it.
Oh yes I gave him some tools and knowledge but he needed a direction which I hope will help him through his lifetime. He will be a great mechanic if the right boss finds him . But he's got several years of school left. So yes mini bikes are still in this 60 year olds life.

this is quite an interesting thread---memory lane--I never had any when I was a kid but rode around on a Cushman with my friend--still have the desire to help a kid build one----here are a couple that my wife and I drove out to the west coast this summer and back to Minnesota---what a blast!!!Honda minimoto 36 volt cycles (8).JPG Honda minimoto 36 volt cycles (9).JPG Honda minimoto 36 volt cycles (10).JPG
Just kidding!!!----they are cute little 36volt bikes that I found at a garage sale----I bought them to use the motors chains and sprockets in some future project----I plan to convert them to weed trimmer motors that I have so some kid can putt around on them---Dave

I had a friend that had a 50cc Yam when I was a kid. previous owner had it gear bound. Me an him opened it up and lined it out.
If I had a dollar for every mile I rode that thing........

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

In high school (mid 60's) I talked my dad (car dealer) into helping me get a dealership for "Little Indian" mini-bikes. I just had to order 3 to get the wholesale price so I talked 2 of my friends into buying one each. No suspension, centrifugal clutch, and Tecumseh motors. They were pretty fast (and very wheelie prone) as is, but when equipped with (West-Bend) go cart motors they were awesome. Would easily do 60-70 mph or more. We were able to add generator bicycle lights and get street legal motorcycle tags for them (Kansas)! My friend Ken would sometimes ride his 20 miles to work in the summer.
Those sure definitely good days to grow up if you liked adventure.

In the local neighborhood...

There is a store a few miles away which stocks some import bikes and 4 wheelers... they are one-off bottom of the line stuff... parts are hard to find.
The kids in the neighborhood used to ride them up and down the street... then they started to break down.
Tried to fix a few of them... the repairs did not last long.

Now the kids have brand name dirt bikes and 4 wheelers (improved economy).

That desire to tinker with stuff, and to ride... seems universal to all generations... :)

Back