Any one able to measure an 8x12 or 14 top slide?

Allan

Active User
Registered
I e-mailed LMS but they weren't willing to measure it for me. I'd like to buy one but want to make sure the fit will be right.
Does anyone have the general measurements from their 8x12 (14) top slide?

My top slide measurements are:
Length Over All: 7"
Width Over All: 3"
Dovetail Opening: 1.78 - 1.844
Thickness at Front: 1"
Depth of Dovetail: <.500"

It would be nice not to hack the original.

This is the top slide casting without its clothes on. You can see the original bolt has a "pip" just under the head to keep it from turning. It appears to be a pin pushed in. In the large hole in the casting you can see the slot that the "pip" fits in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43966&d=1355894723&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=43967&d=1355894728&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=43968&d=1355894733&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=43969&d=1355894737&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=43970&d=1355894742&thumb=1.jpg
Does this look the same as what your 8x12 is? 'Twould be great if it was. Except it would be one more purchase down that slippery slope. Lathes should be like printers: the lathe is free but you have to pay for the tooling.

Al

attachment.php?attachmentid=43966&d=1355894723&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=43967&d=1355894728&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=43968&d=1355894733&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=43969&d=1355894737&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=43970&d=1355894742&thumb=1.jpg

This may sound odd to you, but what kind of machine is this slide for and why your looking for a new one if you have one?

I want to put a QCTP on it. The cast in boss is in the way. A second slide would allow me to cut it off without damaging the original one. It is for a Tida 10 x 36.

Al

I never heard of a Tida until now. Where is it made? I see some used ones online. Maybe you can find some used ones online too. A used machinery dealer might part it out for you.

I did find this online
Please note Tida MFG has been out of business for over 20 years, There is no
resource for replacement parts....

Hi, Richard.
Tida was made in Taiwan and they are long gone. But the current Jets and Kings are identical in some respects. I think the factories may ahve outsourced the supply of parts and the patterns ended up being used by several companies. I did a write up on my lathe with some pictures if you look under Asian Lathes forum. Merry Christmas to you.
Al

P.S. Where is Cottage Grove? Grand Forks is nearest to us.

Does anyone have the general measurements from their 8x12 (14) top slide?

Al,

While your carriage slide resembles the 8x12/14, it's larger as these photos show.

I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to risk damaging the original. However, you could have a new slide fabricated-- especially if you could find a local hobby machinist with a mill and skill. It would be interesting to see how members of this list would price such a job-- especially those who run small commercial shops. The trickiest part would be milling the 60-degree dovetails.

A QCTP is a very worthwhile investment.

Slide-Length.jpg Slide-width.jpg

I made a new top slide for my Atlas. Ask around there has to be someone around you that has a mill to make a new one. I can not remember how much time was needed on the mill, but was not much. I roughed the slot on a BP with a 3/4" rougher, all the rest was on the Busy Bee. Likely less than 3 hrs including babble time with my buddy with the mill.
Pierre

Topic called "Replacement Compound slide for Atlas 10" found in Atlas & Atlas-Clausings Machines

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/708-Replacement-Compound-slide-for-Atlas-10

Last edited:
I wish there was a way to add to the title of each new post from where it was originally posted, so I would have know where it came from. I also think a good machinist will be able to make you one easier and faster then buying one. Good luck, it looks you have found the solution. Cottage Grove is a SE suburb of St.Paul.

Richard, I added the original topic and location. Is this what you were thinking about?
Pierre

Back