Any one able to measure an 8x12 or 14 top slide?

Thanks for the info, Ken. Much appreciated
I thought it was probably too good to be true. (&%$#@!&) I think I will go with plan A for now: turning a ring to go around the boss to support the TP. A 3'' piece of 11L17 appeared like manna the other day for just this purpose. If it works out that I can't get tools low enough then I will resort to plan B: whack it off and smooth it out. If it really gets ugly I can always resort to plan C: make a top slide in the future. Doesn't look too tough says the guy with very limited experience and machinery.

Pdentrem, I have a friend with a milling machine- a horologist of no mean skill. But he uses it commercially and I hate to impose on him although he would probably be quite willing. The other problem is that as much as I enjoy making tooling I would like to actually start on my locomotive. The steel arrived for it but the lathe is not ready yet. Being in the real estate business doesn't leave me much spare time. I hate to use it all making tools. And I shudder to think what a commercial shop would charge.

Hey! I've got an idea. I saw an old mill for sale. I could buy it and spend 2 years restoring it and building tooling for it Then I could expand the shop space to use it more efficiently and then make top slide. That would probably require case hardening and scraping. When that is done if my maker hasn't called me home I can start on the locomotive. :nuts: The problem is that servants beget servants.

I think if I am going to make one anyway I will risk butchering the original and replace it later if I feel guilty. By then my experience may be commensurate with the job. After all, it's not a big chunk of American Arn. Its just a Tida. I'll keep my eyes open for one on e bay.

Thanks to all who have put their oars in on this one. Y'all have a Merry Christmas.

Al

Hi, Richard.
I don't get out that way often so that is why I hadn't heard of it. Yes, I have few options now so something will work out.
All the best.

Al

Hey! I've got an idea. I saw an old mill for sale. I could buy it and spend 2 years restoring it and building tooling for it Then I could expand the shop space to use it more efficiently and then make top slide. That would probably require case hardening and scraping.

Al

Ah yes, you have discovered the true essence of hobby machining-- spend $10,000 to make a $50 part.

With the size of your lathe, you should not have to worry about the height of the QCTP. Carriage slide deck-to tool-center-height is much tighter on the 8-inch lathe, hence the need to slightly lower the deck.

Probably the easiest conversion is simply to bore the bottom hole of the QCTP to match the diameter of your slide's tool post hub, and fab a new center post for the QCTP-- an afternoon's worth of work. You have all the tools and skill necessary for the job-- perhaps with the exception of a die to match the threads of your QCTP stud-- and you will maintain the integrity of the original part.

Please post photos of the finished project. (There, you have a goal!)

Best,

Ken

Last edited:
Back