Any suggestions on a budget DRO for a Bridgeport?

Anything based upon mechanical parts like rack and pinion are subject to wear and tiny swarf messing them up,period. No way around it.

I've owned just about all the top brands and never had a problem. Don't know anything about DRO Pros.
Cheapest System I had was the Mitutoyo I mentioned earlier, worked great never a problem, easy to use. Select inch or metric, Absolute or Incremental and your good to go, can switch from one to the other any time.
Only problem I ever had with a DRO is poor mounting! If the scale or reader moves you will have an error! I make my own brackets and do not use those with the unit if supplied. Those one size fits all are not good! I never let the DRO Rep. install my systems!
I did see one cheap type that used the machine screw, only problem is that you get nothing more than a digital dial. Backlash must be compensated for. Never owned that type so can't say much more.

Frank
It seems like mounting brackets are a common problem. Universal mounts don't seem to work well on anything.

I have DROPRO on a bridgeport. Had it about a year. I installed the 3 axis Eltronica EL400. You can go to their website and watch the videos of different thing you can do using the programs that come installed. The website demonstrations sold me.

I have DROPRO on a bridgeport. Had it about a year. I installed the 3 axis Eltronica EL400. You can go to their website and watch the videos of different thing you can do using the programs that come installed. The website demonstrations sold me.

Watched them too & think that's the rout I'm gonna go

Thanks for starting this thread I'm in the same boat don't know what brand DRO for my mill ? The options make it tough and prices are all over the place.

There is a much newer thread on this topic. Actually several of them. Try DRO on a budget. You might even want to start your own if that doesn't fit.

Thanks for starting this thread I'm in the same boat don't know what brand DRO for my mill ? The options make it tough and prices are all over the place.
ebgb68, I have a TPAC tools 4-axis DRO on a Jet JVM-830. We don't live too far apart if you want to see one first hand. Mine is 3 glass scales on the table/knee, digital caliper on the quill. Couldn't be happier with the unit. Cost $485 delivered.

Bruce

Back