Any tips about turning A36?

Oil and lubes are like fasteners, I'm always discovering a new one. So Doc, you use Anchor lube for drilling and tapping better than Tap magic? Do you use it on the lathe for cutting too? Always looking for something that's not petro based and non toxic. The website doesn't say what it is, only that it's not oil based.
I use Tap Magic for all shop work where a cutting oil is called for, it is good stuff and does not stink and is every bit as good as the old Rapid Tap that contained Tricloroetheline.

Oil and lubes are like fasteners, I'm always discovering a new one. So Doc, you use Anchor lube for drilling and tapping better than Tap magic? Do you use it on the lathe for cutting too? Always looking for something that's not petro based and non toxic. The website doesn't say what it is, only that it's not oil based.
Hi C-bag,
i use anchor lube for just about everything now. i have no idea what is in it but it works like a charm especially on stainless steel.
it gets used on every machine, lathe, saw, and mill- i mix it sometimes with water or sometimes straight like when drilling and tapping or turning
i do like tap magic for aluminum- but i usually use kerosene, or a mixture of kerosene and bacon grease when i'm at home

i do like tap magic for aluminum- but i usually use kerosene, or a mixture of kerosene and bacon grease when i'm at home[/QUOTE]

Hard to beat a shop that smells like bacon!:p

I use Tap Magic for all shop work where a cutting oil is called for, it is good stuff and does not stink and is every bit as good as the old Rapid Tap that contained Tricloroetheline.
I still have 2 old cans of chlorinated and sulpherized Mitee thread cutting oil, save it for the tougher jobs.

For your build its perfect , sharp tools and cutting fluid . Any kind will really do.

Where can i get a sample of this anchor lube?

As long as you realize that the surface finish will be ugly and you have plenty of emory cloth, A36 is fine. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why my finish was so bad as a newbie when using A36.

You can do it if you have enough power and rigidity. The best finish I have gotten from A36 is cutting 600 SFM at a feed of .01 and .1 depth of cut. Never have been able to get the chips to break reliably so at best I get 6-12 inch spirals. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/toolpost_020-png.231726/.

I prefer to use carbide inserts where I can but for the gummier mild steels I stick to well ground and sharp HHS cutters. Can usually cleanup with 220/320 paper.

Thank you. Does it come with instructions for like best results and such? Ive always used cool tool 2 for machining and tap magic for tapping.

Minimal usage info on the label. It's one of those things that you really can't use too much, except to cause waste. I use it on smallish taps, only a drop or two. You just have to experiment with your particular operation, material, etc..

Back