Anybody combine Float Lock Vise function w/ favorite drill press vise?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for ideas.

I like my Cardinal Speedvise drill press vises, but I also like the "floating" function of the Float Lock Vise.

My Cardinals have enough mass that I can usually hold the vise with one hand and pull the quill with the other. Usually there is no issue, but sometimes the vise and work will "climb the helix". I think I need to quit tempting fate, and come up with a better idea for quickly and efficiently clamping my vise for each use.

My 20in drill press has a 18in x 16in table with real t-slots (not through slots). That HF drill press clamp looks good but it seems to flex under clamping pressure and looks like it doesn't lend itself to "real" t-slot applications.

I'd rather avoid drilling any holes in my table. The table is currently "virgin", except for the coolant drain hole (which I don't use). I saw an Oxtool video where he very briefly showed something he did with a Kurt vise but too short to see any detail.

Has anyone combined the Float Lock Vise functionality with their favorite "stock" drill press vise?

Last edited:
I always clamp down my vise if I’m drilling metal it is a heavy vise because it is a tilting vise I did not lock it and it lifted up and bent the drill but that idea is great I’m watching this thread for sure

I recently saw exactly what you're asking about somewhere on this site. Don't remember where. Search for "float-lock".

IIRC, a fellow bolted a vise to a baseplate. The baseplate included an anti-rotation arm (or fork) that rested against (or straddled) the column.

I recently saw exactly what you're asking about somewhere on this site. Don't remember where. Search for "float-lock".

IIRC, a fellow bolted a vise to a baseplate. The baseplate included an anti-rotation arm (or fork) that rested against (or straddled) the column.
Man, I'd like to see that. I considered such an approach myself.

I searched for several variations of the term "float" and haven't found it yet.

I bough a heavy faceplate with T slots and set up the arm:

Robert

I like your anti-rotation arm Robert, and your Clausing drill press.

What is Clausing's intention for lashing work down on such a table? Magnetic chuck?

If you are unaware, I've seen several Youtube videos on fabricating magnetic chucks from microwave oven transformers. Looks easier than it sounds. Do a search on Youtube.

What is Clausing's intention for lashing work down on such a table? Magnetic chuck?

Having recently bought the same Clausing drill press with the same table, I’ve been wondering the same thing. I looked into the float-lock vises a bit. They seem good but expensive. Maybe a good project in the future. I like the yoke linked above and may do something like that.

After struggling with my cheap vise I think I'm going to build a float lock following Mr Pete's videos.

Man, I'd like to see that. I considered such an approach myself.

I searched for several variations of the term "float" and haven't found it yet.

Try this:

I tried a magnetic chuck but for some reason I had major trouble with aluminum! I machine a lot of aluminum.
I feel like that safety vise would make a great group project.
R

Back