Anybody have or use this kind of notcher?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have seen a couple of these corner notchers and wonder if they are actually worth it. I would like a big stationary 6” but to frugal to engage.
The pictured is from an eBay listing and to me it’s a ripoff because it’s crazy dull and he’s wanting almost $20 shipping.

Attachments

• 1689869746910.jpeg
    1689869746910.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 34
I'm thinking hemmed HVAC edges, probably good for 22 gauge at that point. I'd call that a tin knocker's tool, probably great for its niche, but for general purpose I'd probably run out of hand strength more often than not. I can make a 1" corner notch in two shakes of a tin snip's tail if I'm only making a couple. If I had lots to do though, a tool makes sense.

Thanks Doc, have you got one? most of what I’m doing is 20ga or thinner.

Last edited:
I'm thinking hemmed HVAC edges, probably good for 22 gauge at that point. I'd call that a tin knocker's tool, probably great for its niche, but for general purpose I'd probably run out of hand strength more often than not. I can make a 1" corner notch in two shakes of a tin snip's tail if I'm only making a couple. If I had lots to do though, a tool makes sense.
I concur. Makes me crazy that there was a 3 or 4” version that was on local CL for almost a year long before I got the sheetmetal bug. It went for like $50 finally. It was I guess portable version that you’d hook into a square hole in a table or anvil.
Another snooze I lose.

The "big" notchers that bolt to a bench would be as versatile and useful as a Bev shear, in terms of sheet thickness capacity and the ability to notch 2" or more. I'd find more uses for that tool than the single-purpose hand tool (which is still a good tool for a tin knocker, I'm angling my opinion toward shop utility). Like any lump of steel that started life in a foundry, they have become $1000 tools now, but I'm sure deals are out there.

I've been thinking more lately about press brakes, ironworkers, and other general punch and form tools. The benchtop notchers fit right in there.

The notcher I missed was that area between the big 6” stand-alone and the hand notcher. Never seen one before or since. It would have been ideal.

My Bev B2 is handy as a shirt pocket, I leave it mounted on the side of the table on the UniDrill. Because I’m so area constrained my 30” 3n1 has really come in handy. Especially since I modded it and replaced eccentric bushings with roller bearings. But for full cuts 20ga is all it can do but so far it’s fit the bill.

I can free cut corners too but they never come out as nice as I think a notcher would. But that’s why I’m asking, I’ve never used one and wonder if the idea matches the reality. Right now there is several 6” notchers for sale from $350 on up.

Last edited:
Here's more support for the corner notcher. I have a Diacro 6" notcher and I use it way more than I thought I would. The great thing is it doesn't wrinkle or curl the material like a tin snip type tool might. And it's not just for corners anymore...it whacks through material so fast, sometimes I use it instead of the 24" shear.

So it doesn’t distort the cut like shears and snips do? I got so frustrated I decided to get this add on by Woodward fab thinking I could adapt it to my Jet arbor press, FAIL. Between the bad design and the flex of the arbor press total waste of time and $$. 1689906098399.jpeg

Back