Anybody Have The Shars Cnc Vise?

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
I am going to be shortly getting a G0704 and from what I have seen, a 4" vise seems a good size. In looking around, I found that Shars seems to offer 3 different flavors: the standard 4", the 440V, and what they call a Super Lock CNC vise. The 440V is a little more than I would like to spend since this is a part time hobby for me, but I was wondering if anyone had the CNC vise and if so, how it performs. I only use a mill maybe a few hours a month, and I don't work to super tight tolerances, as most of the stuff I make is to go with my woodworking, which is my main hobby. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have their non cnc version on my G0704 and a 6" cnc version on my CO 12z. I'm happy with both. IMO 4" is a good match to the 0704. Nothing has ever worked loose or kicked up on me.
upload_2015-11-3_9-18-24.png
2 1/2" sq 3 1/2" tall alum block in cheap vise.

Grizzly has their 4" on sale now and I just got it 2 weeks ago and am very pleased with it.
Very tight and true. Had to mill the Tslot nuts to fit the G0704 slots but that was easy.

kd4gij, the one you linked is the same one I linked to in the original post, it sure looks nice.

Tom, it's good to hear it's a good vise.

What is the difference between a mill vice and a "CNC" vice?
Is the CNC vice numerically controlled or just more expensive?

I have a Shars 4 inch vice it isn't the CNC one but I am very happy with it. thomas s

What is the difference between a mill vice and a "CNC" vice?
Is the CNC vice numerically controlled or just more expensive?

The CNC style vise as in the links posted here. Does not have the drip ridge around it and has no mounting tabs. It has slots down the sides and you use toe clamps to hold it down witch gives more mounting options. Also it can be mounted on it's side witch is a big plus. The issue with the Kurt style on my G0704 is even after I cut the drip trough of the back when mounted in the front slots on the table I still lose a little over 1/2" of travel.

upload_2015-11-4_21-4-30.png

Back